Mysterious Battery Problem

Started by whatisthis, July 23, 2003, 11:59:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatisthis

Hello:

I was hoping somebody could help or maybe had a similar problem...My battery loses almost all its water in about 4 days.  I have an almost new Die-Hard and within a few days the water level in every cell disappears. I've been riding too often to tell if it loses water even if just sitting.  I can't dectect any leaks and once I put in new water is seems to charge right up with no problems. In fact even without any water it seems to work fine!  Could it be overcharging and boiling the water out? ??? Any ideas would be much appreciated.  

sdinino

I'd say that's the most likely problem. Your regulator has fried and is just allowing the full output of the stator through to the battery.

Try using the charging system flowchart at Electrex:
http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_fault_finding.html

HTH
-- Steve D

Lucky

Put a meter on the battery, at idle, you should see 12.5 - 13.5 V. rev the bike up to 5000 rpm you should see about 14.8V  readings higher than these and your boiling the battery.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

scootertramp

what a cool site. I larn something new almost every time I come here. If you are overchargin' then you're hurtin' your battery too, correct?
my bike needs a goode ride of ten miles one way to keep the bat charged up well. I have the opposite problem. mine ain't chargin well. I had to jump mine today . it's been rainin'.
as long as I ride it a goodely ways ever daye It seems to stay charged up but goes DAID iffen' I don't ride it. Hmmmm..
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

whatisthis

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm narrowing in on it...
At about 1500 rpm it reads about 15 V and bringing it up to 5000 rpm the reading raises to about 17 V. (Analog meter so not real percise.)  If I continue through the Electrex Flow chart, am I right to assume I have more than 4 DIFFERENT wire COLORS? i.e section D.  Or do I even need to go through the flow chart maybe the readings I'm getting definately mean trouble?
Thanks again for the input.

sdinino

If the voltage continues to rise with RPM and doesn't level out at 14.8, your regulator ain't regulatin'. (Do I have that accent right, scoot?  :D ). That's why you're battery keeps going dry.

I don't exactly remember what was in section D on the Electrex flowchart, but I do recall it was loaded w/ lots of detail for many different models of bikes. I had to re-read it several times to be sure I was running the right test for my Vision. You may be looking at a section that wasn't intended for a Yamaha charging system. Double check before you do repairs.
-- Steve D

Lucky

You want to go with the test "4 wires or less". Test D is for bikes with charging systems similar to a cars. you want test C.
I'll tell you right now though, the R/R is bad, replace it & eliminate the connectors.  I'll bet my last doughnut.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

whatisthis

Things are heating up...

I did the Flow test of section D for higher than 14.8 V at the brown wire and unfortunately it is just as high there too. (This is a test to see if you had a bad connection with the ignition switch.) No such luck.  So this brings me to another question...will I have to build a RR from scratch using old parts from 1947 Studebakers and 70 Hodakas.  Or can you actually buy one of these things?  Not to sound like I'm complaining I love my Vision!  (And so do all my riding partners, they never have to bring any tools themselves.)

And I think I'v learned my lesson when I do get another regulator I will mount it on top of my helmet for maximum air flow.  ;)

Thanks again for the help.

Rick G

You can buy a better one from Eletrex  or a second hand one here or on Ebay . Just make sure its a good one . Make them test it and agree to take it back if its bad . As to mounting it ,up front in the air flow is a vast improvement . If you want to see how I did it ,go to my site (its mostly just pictures so far, as I don't have a clue on how to build a site , and I'm imposing on others!)
WWW.geocities.com/rgcdn1

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

whatisthis

Thanks everyone!  The great support is one of the reasons I keep my Vision. Thanks again.

whatisthis

Just some general info that may help someone else.

The least expensive new RR I could find was at:
http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
It was $99.95 plus $6.00 shipping.

Apparently this RR also fits:

XV500K VIRAGO '83
XV750 VIRAGO '81-'83
XV920 VIRAGO '82-'83

There is also one for a sale on e-bay for $63.00, but I can't get them to respond and tell me they will guarantee it.

Rick G

Thats way too much for a used one!  look further.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RobTx

I bought a Virago one on ebay a few months back for $10.  Exact fit, plugs and all.  Heres one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10066&item=2424584274
I think this is the same too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35594&item=2424707806
And one more:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10066&item=2425284040
Double check that they cross reference.  But remember you can probably make any of them work by snipping off the connector and hard wiring them, which you should do anyway.
Rob

blurred_vision

Just a FYI, if your riding in very hot weather such as southwest area, the heat can evaporate the battery fluids also! I had this happen to me on a trip across country and I spent about 4 days in intense heat 110-114 degrees. There was no overcharging problem and I topped off the bat. the week I left. I was stuck in Yosemite park when it let me know it was dead! :( I found a place to crash for the night and I checked the fluids the next day and it was bone dry! :o Although I don't think it helped riding through Death Valley ::)