News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Stator? R/R? NEITHER!

Started by wolfman, July 07, 2005, 09:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Reposted as an FYI upadate to my latest charging system woes....

Well, took it apart to gain access...removed battery and put it on the charger while working on it.

Found three wire stator to R/R connector melted enough to fuse the two ends together...and prepared to the worst. (No lectures please...the OEM connector was undamaged a year ago when I replaced a bad R/R and  grounded Stator)

Stator tested OK (Three times!)
Regulator tested OK (Three times!)

Removed the melted connector and connected the three wires from the stator directly to the three going to the regulator. (Left the spade connectors on the wires, just directly connected them, crimped them tight and then insulated them)

Put it all back together and started her up.

14.2 volts at idle.

YEE HAW!  Gotta like free fixes!

Just wondering if I should count my lucky stars or go ahead and order the parts in anticipation of eventual failure?

NOTE:  Stator and R/R test results were the same as when the units were NEW. (I wrote down the numbers for future reference)  It appears that a loose/bad connection at the 3 wire plug caused the overheat and eventual failure of just those connections, once I fixed that, everything "seems" to be fine again.  In fact, I am getting about just shy of 1 volt better at idle than I was when I initially repaired it a year or so ago...The bike even starts and runs better. (Especially after I resynced the carbs afterwards when I was through)

Lucky

Do yourself a favor & check the connector on the other R/R pigtail, especially the heavy black ground wire in it.  once the stator connector is eliminated, the R/R harness connector usually follows suit.

Have you moved the R/R to cooler air yet? you should.  look at it this way, for a couple of dollars in wire, solder, heat shrink & a piece of metal bracket, you've got nothing to lose...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

And what about sweat, hey Lucky, what about SWEAT???

Sorry, I think I need to sleep.

Incidently, I'm at that stage in my 82-turning-into-an-83 project. Man, lots of posts to read, and Lucky's web site...

DId I ever mention the info accessible through these is absolutely priceless?

Cheers

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

wolfman

Quote from: Lucky on July 07, 2005, 10:17:14 PM
Do yourself a favor & check the connector on the other R/R pigtail, especially the heavy black ground wire in it.? once the stator connector is eliminated, the R/R harness connector usually follows suit.

Have you moved the R/R to cooler air yet? you should.? look at it this way, for a couple of dollars in wire, solder, heat shrink & a piece of metal bracket, you've got nothing to lose...

You don't understand..... asking me to solder is like asking a blind, mentally handicapped person with cerebral palsy to bake bread....

It is possible?  Yes.  But the odds of success are somewhere between slim and none.

Lucky

ok, well crimp if you must then, but be sure to pack the crimps with something like heavy grease or dialectic grease.

soldering is a practiced skill, everyone sucks at it at first.  get yourself a cheap iron, some thin solder, flux & a foot or 2 of wire & practice. you'll be surprised how fast you get good at it.  soldering comes in handy for so many things...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black