News:

Main Menu

Soon to be Visionless

Started by wolfman, August 02, 2005, 01:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

My Vision days will most likely soon be coming to and end.? I have purchased an 89' Honda PC800 (Pacific Coast) Provided it passes my inspection this weekend, the 'V" will go up for sale soon afterward.? I have wanted a PC since they came out in 89', the price was right, its' close by and I need a bigger bike. (Even my neighbor said the 'V' looked "small" under me.? I have also grown tired of constant carburettor tinkering, stubbon starts one day followed by easy starts the next etc...?

For those unfamiliar with the PC800, it is a liquid cooled shaft drive V-twin.? 800cc with 3 valves per cylinder (self adjusting hydraulic valve lifters) built from 1989-1996?

Hydraulic clutch
Dual front disk brakes
Single rear drum

Unusual in appearance as basically the entire bike is "ecapsulated" in fairing.? The back end featuring a huge watertight and lockable "trunk".? Although its' odd appearance and high price caused the PC not to sell particualrly well when introduced, it has become a "cult bike" (sound familiar?)? It is also considered one of the most reliable bikes Honda ever built.

Kevin

It's a honda shadow covered in plastic. very low maintence bike ,nothing exciting speed wise but a good reliable machine.Kevin C. ;D

Morpheus

I just made the jump to Honda myself Wolfman. New bike is a '98 Blackbird/CBR 1100 XX.

I didn't know they quit making those Pacific Coasts. I always thought they were very elegant looking......sleek. I also didn't realize they'd been making them since '89......I thought they were newer than that. Time's going faster the older I get......especially since I started working for the railroad!? ? ???

Brian_Matthewson

The PC is one of those great bikes (for some riders) that is unappreciated when introduced, like the Vision and GTS1000. It was sold in 1989 (watch out for the rear tire rubbing the trunk on '89 models) and 1990, discontinued for 1991 - 1993, and reintroduced in 1994 for about $1,200 less, then finally discontinued permanently in 1997 (or '98, I can't remember).

Have fun with it!!

Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

George R. Young

I wonder if there's a trend here, when Vision riders buy another bike, they don't buy a Yamaha.

Morpheus

Had too many problems with this one........Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth for Yamaha. Would have gotten rid of it a few years ago if it wasn't for these guys help & pep talks.

Though I was looking at the '05 Limited Edition R1 at the dealership the other day while I was getting my new chain. Very sharp........Guess I've got a thing for all black bikes!

Walt_M.

My  new, to me, '92 TDM 850 would seem to counter that trend. Hondas are evil!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Silver_Bullet

Well Guys, I don't feel quite so bad now, hearing as how many other of you have bought newer, more modern bikes.  Just two weeks ago, I became the proud owner of a FZ1.  I plan on keeping the Vision, at least for now.  I actually like to tinker, when I can, and have really enjoyed the bike.  Last new bike I bought was a Vision, exactly 20 years ago.  My, how things have changed (power, reliability, ease of starting, suspensions) and how some have not (new bike has carbs, no self-cancelling signals, and the front master cylinder looks exactly like the one on my Vision).  Haven't been at website in quite some time, missed interacting with you guys, will keep in touch.

Mark
If you have to ask why we do this, you wouldn't understand.

QBS

In keeping with the general trend of this thread, I too can report that I have recently purchased a new to me BMW.  Except this one has 4 wheels and says 635 CSi on the back.  It's an '89 with 66k miles on it.  Color is white with black leather everywhere interior.  It is absolutely immaculate without a scratch on it.  I am so so jazzed that I can't stand it most of the time.

My '83 V is at a generally stable point and doesn't need much maintenance these days so I have turned my attention on the car of my long time dream.

Fear not, my days of Vnariness are far from over.  I still check the forum daily with no plans to do otherwise.  God bless us all.  Cheers.

Morpheus

My new one doesn't have self canceling signals either?? Kinda takes away the style points of going 100+ mph when you've got your turn signals on the whole time.

My buddy's got an '04 Hyabousa and it doesn't have them either. We swapped bikes and were gettin' at it. I popped a wheelie on his going quite fast. Got to the end of the road feelin' cool and realized I still had his signal on.........not so cool after all!!? ?:P

jasonm.

PC800 is a good  bike...it has less HP(only 40rwhp.) but more torque than the Vision. It's one of Honda's best bikes for reliability. Happy trails...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

redxz550inoz

hmm, I can definitely see a trend here ... pending my valve/shim repairs I've picked up a little kwaka zx6 for fun.
No way in hell am I parting with my v tho. Love her to bits - even after all the trouble she's been  LOL.
Much as I enjoy the zip of the zx, there's nothing to compare to the joy of riding my xz when she's running right  ;D

Walt_M.

Well, looks like I am running contrary to the trend with my TDM, still a great bike though. My Vision is still running great, with no problems since my petcock replacement. I probably would not have gotten the TDM if I had gotten the petcock sooner. Love my Yamahas!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Superfly

I picked up a little Suzuki GS-450...
fun little bike, very heavily modified!

Nothing close to the V though....

I just got it to fix it and sell it....
I am trying to get my R1

but cant part with my Visions....
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Jimmy C.

I think I'm going to keep mine for a while longer. After all, it almost matches the performance of a Ducati monster 620 Dark.
Don't believe me?
read the performance specs of the vision on this website, and then read the specs listed on page 86 of this month's Cycle World.
I sent a letter to Cycle World, because I didn't believe it. I didn't believe a 1982 Vision even came close to a bike like that. The bikes are very much alike save for a couple of pounds, a chain drive and a touch of carbon fiber.
all the Ducati owners I know do more bragging than riding, but with a 996 and a 999S, I'm not going to try to steal their thunder with my little Yamaha.

Kenny

Strange - the circle's we take with our Yamaha's. I started off with a 76 xs 500 & we rode two up with a windjammer and rack factory trunk. Then it was on to a 80 XS1100g with the same fairing,trunk, added 40 litre Krausers. Finally in19 83 an 82 with the Hannigan & my wife rode an 83 V. Sold them both in 90 and went to an 84R100rs BMW & built a 77 /7 BMW with a Velorex sidecare for Dorothy. After 78K's on the Vision it took a while to get use to the Beemers.
     Finally in the late ninety's I found another 83 Vision and found I left the Beemers at home as the Vision was more fun to ride & I couldn't stop with just one Vision.then a XV920rh & now a 92 TDM ! Feels like  Yamaha Twins are my thing.
         Have Fun! Kenny
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Walt_M.

Finally, another Vision owner with a TDM! Mine is a '92 also, haven't gotten a chance to do much besides new tires, change engine oil and flush the brakes. Have a new chain and sprocket set on order, then I can open her up. Oh, BTW, I had a '73 TX500 too, they changed it to XS500 later. Good bike with finicky CV carbs. Sold it and got a '76 RD400, miles of smiles with that one!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Glyn

Also have alternate bikes to my Vision. Currently commuting on a little Yam SRX 250. Have adapted Vision seat foam and cover since the stock seat is like a razor blade to sit on. Vibrates like hell so am goind to do a mod to rubber mount some bars.

Kenny - what was the 920 Yam twin like - is that the TR1?
The one with the enclosed chain? always fancied one of those - like a Japenese Vincent. Have they any tuning potential, or just soft cruisers? also- to ayone who has owned an RD 400 - are they reliable?

Yams are great - but prob not as reliable as Onda's.

Cheers

Glyn

Walt_M.

I have nothing but fond memories of my RD400. It was my only street bike for 7 years. Excellent reliability and easy to maintain. My only complaint was that it was physically a small bike. I weighed only 160-170 lbs at the time I owned it. My 215 lbs now might be a bit much.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jasonm.

The tranny's are the weakest link in the 76-78 RD400's. They often need to be shimmed for proper gear engagement. BUT not always. The steering head bearings get wasted fast with the ease at which they do wheelies. The swing arm bushings should be changed to bronze from plastic. The last 2 items make these very stable rides.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules