What a deal.

Started by wolfman, June 21, 2004, 05:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Well the carbs are sync'd.  The fish tank hose manometer method works great.  I do need to fix that YIS box (though I know where there is a perfect one...) I had "accidentally" rotated the connector rod 1/2 of a full turn when the carbs were seperated the other day  ::)  Got the columns to within an inch of each other...that's about as good as it gets as even when I do get them perfectly even, they go back out slightly when I tighten the lock nut.  Idle mixture is still in need of some more tweaking as it is "lopey" by no point in doing that till teh YICS repair (or replacement) is done..  THANKS to Lucky and H2O by the way!  Anyway on to the deal..

Neighbor's kid just bought a new V star.  Just prior to that he had bought an old Suzuki GS 850.  It came with a set of KG saddlebags and trunk/rack complete with built in lights etc..  Neighbor has bought it (the 850) from his kid but being less than mechanically inclinded and tool challanged, needs help to get it running and back on the road.  He does not like or need the trunk and bags..So...my "V" will soon be wearing them.  Quick release, can be used with or without the trunk, he even has the keys!

The 850 is already running after just some diagnostics and a new battery.  It only needs a rear tire and left handlebar switch set at this point, and perhaps a carb cleaning/sync. A some genral cleaning up..the bag set is in my storage shed for install on Wednesday with luck.. No more backpack for me..and you can't beat basically free!

h2olawyer

I ended up adjusting the carbs so the balance was off by the amount it changes (on the opposite sides) when the locknut is tightened.  Took some time but finally got it right.

Great deal on those bags!  Especially with keys.  :) I've read that wearing a backpack or anything but armor can create dangers of hyperextending the spine in a crash.  Good to get those things stored elsewhere.  I use my tank bag, soft saddlebags or a small bungee net depending on the situation.  Those hard bags should give better water protection than softies.

Glad to be of some help!

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.