Handling at about 35 - 40 mph ?

Started by davexz, June 25, 2011, 12:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davexz

Well, I did both - I biffed the installation and had them too tight.  For the sake of helping other learn what NOT to do I need to tell others to make sure you get the races in first.  Sounds simple right? But somehow I had the bottom bearing flipped and because of that I could not get the slop out and ended up tightening it too much so there was a slight drag between the bottom of the triple tree and the frame -  all the spacing was screwed up. I'm waiting on new bearings but I'm sure that was the problem.

davexz

That was an interesting point about the tank slapper front end and the worn bearings.  I have a night hawk that does the same thing when you let go of the handle bars.  It rides fine as long as you have at least one hand on the bars.  I am hoping a new pair of balanced tires will take care of it but I'll keep the bearing idea in mind.

Rikugun

Glad you got it figured out. Let us know when the bearings are in if it helps your handling woes.

Does the Night Hawk have the original bars and mirrors?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

davexz

Yes - original bars and mirrors.  It is a 84 CB700SC Night Hawk and the bars sure seem narrow and for me a little hard to get used to.

Rikugun

I'd be curious to learn when you get the new tires if the problem goes away.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

davexz

I'll try and remember to let you know.  It will probably be next spring.

davexz

Following up on my problem - I got the new steering bearing in correctly this time and they adjusted right up as they should (not too tight but just right) and the bike rides great. No more diving back and forth when trying to drive in a straight line.  I feel like an idiot for getting them in wrong.  Thanks everyone for the great suggestions that helped me solve another problem. It is all those problems that make it fun.

Re-Vision

I personally appreciate folks that are not afraid of admitting to making mistakes, if you are not making mistakes it's because you're not doing anything. Good to see your bike coming along well.     BDC

jasonm.

Yes, always install races 1st. Since they are usuaklly 2 different sizes. Glad to hear all is well. ANd hope you greased the hell out of them. ME...I installed a grease fitting in my frame -stem. So it's greased forever.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules