Main Menu

Por 15.

Started by [jh], July 26, 2009, 10:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

Well I did my tank this week end, buuut not 100% at rest with it. Is the amount you get for the motorcycle repair kit enough for the Vision? It sure didn't seem like it. I can't tell what the rest of the tank looks like but I didn't cover all of the tank where gas goes in. Is that very bad? what if there are other parts that I can't see, is that really bad? I did everything exactly like they say right down to the minute. I'm worried.

Plus, I got on here to check if anyone else had mentioned the amount of sealer, and found stuff about not shaking it  >:( The instructions didn't mention anything about not shaking it. I guess they never said too shake it. I shook it and stirred it. Am I done for. F@%K! I really don't want to repaint my tank and find out later that I have to reseal it. Can I add more at this point in the game?
wow!

kwells

the can they give you should have been enough.  You shouldn't have to shake it...just some rolling and moving it around into different positions.  Even if you didn't get the entire inside lined completely the lower sections of the tank most likely got coated and that is the most  important.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

POR 15ed my tank years ago and had plenty of material.  Some on here have said that shaking the can is really bad ju ju.  I didn't shake mine.  Kwells has a good point in that at least, in all probability, you got the critical bottom area protected.

[jh]

Ya I'm pretty certain all the lowere point would be good, but it would have been nice to have the entire thing done.
wow!

Rick G

When I did mine I had 1/4 of a can drain back out. Its plenty.Its not all that easy to do , but it works.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

i'm thinking we all get different amounts because i think there is a standard kit & a m/c kit.  i've allways used the m/c kit & feel it's not enough, but Kevin is right, the low points in the tank are the most important.

i shook one can & had bad results, fisheyes all over the place, if they break they expose bare metal (or thin POR)

i lived with it & it was fine till i sold it.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

The instructions I got with my POR kit said to use the stirring stick and not shake as to prevent bubbles.  If you bought the kit, it should have been in the instructions unless they changed it.
My first tank job was a disaster.  My tank was too warm and the POR dried quickly and I did not have enough to cover the whole inside.  My second job turned out perfect and I was able to drain out about 1/4th of a can.  That tank was quite a bit cooler...however, it was also a brand new tank and had never had gas in it before.  I still went through the whole etching and cleaning process as the tank had sat at a dealer for over 20 years.

I'll agree with the others though.  The most important places to get covered are the low spots and the sides.  If you managed to get them, then you should be ok.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kid Jedi

I find that the acid in the kit is pathetic though. I use muratic acid (pool supply store) just before the Phosphoric acid in the kit. I also use a snake cam to look inside to make sure I got everywhere,
Loves to over think things.

67GTO

Where do you get a snake cam? That would be handy to have.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

[jh]

wow!

Kid Jedi

Loves to over think things.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Kid Jedi on July 29, 2009, 12:51:50 PM
here is the unit i use

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SeeSnake-micro/index.htm

Sweet... and they can be rented from some home depots and rental agencies.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)