Main Menu

Air Filters

Started by Jimustanguitar, June 05, 2009, 09:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

Who makes an air filter that is worth buying. I was thinking of getting one of the UNI aftermarket foam ones, but didn't want to if anybody had bad things to say about them. They are designed to be a factory replacement, not a performance mod or anything...

Does anybody else's filter not stay in place while riding? I know that removing the locating pins in the airbox was part of the flapper mod procedure, but what trick can I use to get my existing filter to stay in place?

QBS

Search this Forum for "Fram" and save $.  Never heard about the pin removal modification before.  It sounds wrong.

Jimustanguitar

step (i) of this instruction page.

http://www.ridersofvision.net/Technical/Airbox/VisionP2.jpg

it is the pin that lines up the airbox, and whoever did the swap on mine definately removed the pins. Isn't yours that way?

Both pins on mine are gone, I think only 1 is supposed to be though, that may be my issue.

QBS

I'm not all familiar with this pin situation.  Never had to consider it on my '83.  We need to inlist some V guru input.

h2olawyer

The original 82 airbox top and air filter were different.  The air filter was rectangular (and metal framed), not the odd shape plastic most of us are familiar with.  The tabs on the sides of the air filter base of the two filters are slightly different, so there is one locating pin that must be cut.  However, that is just one pin, not all of them.  The air filter stays in place fine with three of the original pins.

Those instructions show what was done with the airbox / carb modification that was done part way through the 1982 model year.  It was sent out as a kit to be installed by the dealers.

Hope this sheds some light (lets fresh air in?) on the issue.

*EDIT*  I have used a UNI filter for years.  The bottom seal wasn't the greatest so I carefully removed it and glued it back on so it sealed with the lower airbox better.  Other than that, I love it.  Much throatier intake growl than the stock filter.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on June 05, 2009, 01:11:56 PM
step (i) of this instruction page.

http://www.ridersofvision.net/Technical/Airbox/VisionP2.jpg

it is the pin that lines up the airbox, and whoever did the swap on mine definately removed the pins. Isn't yours that way?

Both pins on mine are gone, I think only 1 is supposed to be though, that may be my issue.

the top of the air box should still hold the filter down and hold it in place without the pin.... you should be able to tell because the foam edge will have a crease in it from the edge of the opening... duct tape it down if you're worried
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) I've done the Fram "fix" on several Vision's but must admit that I run a UNI filter in "The Mistress"... 8) Oil up and go...Easy to clean, oil up and go again, as required... 8)

8).......TIGER.......8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

me2 on the uni.. I like ease and the sound also
;D

Jimustanguitar

I'm ordering the UNI today, I'll let you know what I think after I put 'er on.

Thanks.

h2olawyer

The UNI might have some minor fit issues with the foam / lower airbox interface.  I had to remove & replace mine to get a better seal.  Sure nice to clean it & re-oil once a year instead of replacing it every so often. 

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kiwi

i found one on Denniskirk.com for around $30, fits perfectly.  It's the foam type.   I plan on using my K&N oil to get it set up.  Got one of those in my car.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

The Prophet of Doom

Do the UNI replacements need the carbs to be re-jetted due to the additional air?

Tiger

Quote from: roro on July 02, 2009, 05:03:01 AM
Do the UNI replacements need the carbs to be re-jetted due to the additional air?

:) NO...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Walt_M.

Kiwi, you might want to hold off on the K&N oil on the UNI and use either motor oil or foam filter oil. The K&N may dissolve the glue holding the UNI together.
Whale oil beef hooked!

YellowJacket!

I have a UNI and have had no problems at all.  However, there was some discussion over on my forums about the "efficiency" of the UNI and the somewhat lack of its ability to trap contaminant particles.
My HVAC guy once told me the most efficient AC system filter is a half dirty one....LOL.  The brand new ones let all kinds of dust through until they get dirty then they become more efficient at trapping the particles until they become full then lose their airflow efficiency.

As for my UNI, I'm going to have my tank off soon to replace my shock.  I'll take a look at the filter and see how it looks, clean it and spray it with a little oil.  I think someone HERE told me to use the K&N spray oil on the UNI.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

The K&N filter oil is really thin & runny compared to typical foam filter oil.  I use a K&N in my pickup, so when I bought the UNI for the Vision, I figured I'd just use the oil I had.  It doesn't stick to the foam at all and all ended up in the bottom of my airbox, making a real mess.  I now use the foam filter oil Yamaha sells.  No particular reason except I happened to be at the dealer when I needed the oil.  It is really sticky stuff.

H2O

QBS

Maybe roll your own filter oil.  The oil of your choice+STP(for stickyness)

YellowJacket!

I took a look at my uni today and it looks to be in good shape and at this point does not need to be cleaned.  I did notice however that there appeared to be lots of dust stuck to the gum on my velocity stacks...which supports kidjedi's info that he posted about the filtering efficiency of the UNI.
My carb boots (the ones under the carbs) seemed cleaner though.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

K & N oil is intended for the mesh type filters (I don't care what they say)  and works well in those . Its not worth a shite in foam filters.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

Quote from: roro on July 02, 2009, 05:03:01 AM

not re-jetted, but you may have to turn your fuel pilot screws out an eighth or quarter turn.
the uni does flow more air, so you need a bit more fuel
;D