83 parts for an 82?

Started by daer21, August 10, 2009, 12:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daer21

I have an 83 parts bike that has been laid down several times then sat out for five years. I also have an 82 Vision. What things should I steal off of the parts vision? I know I should steal the carbs and the front wheel, but what else should I take? I'm new to the forum and riding so please forgive any glaring mistakes I make. Thanks!

funkamongus

ok,, others will know more for certain,, I would think the front end, dual brakes, fork risers, shock.  keep your stator and R/R too!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Brian Moffet

If you grab the carbs, you'll want the airbox and tank.  If you grab the tank, you'll want the instrument cluster for the fuel gauge.  Rear shock, entire front brake system (the 82 is different with the master plunger).

h2olawyer

If you want the carbs, you'll need the upper rear engine mount as well.  83 carbs interfere with the 82 part.  Wheels are optional - the 82 front wheel is drilled & tapped for brake rotor installation on both sides.

Also get the rider pegs / mounts, brake pedal & shifter linkage.  If it still has the fairing, nab the wire harness extension and the rubber 'box' with mount from the forks.  That 'box' holds much of the wiring on an 83 that sits in the headlight bucket of the 82s.  If you still have that rubber 'box' and mount, I'll call dibs on it if you don't plan to use it!   ;D

All usable fairing mount parts - frame & "W" bracket, both side brackets - especially the one with the oil filler & tube.  Get the throttle, clutch & choke cables (they're shorter on the 83s if you use the 83 risers).  The tail piece (trunk) behind the seat is different as well.  The 82's is textured while the 83's is smooth & (originally) shiny.

The last thing I can think of is the 83 sidestand.  It has a tang on it that makes it much easier to operate when the 83 rider pegs are used.

There's quite a few differences between the 82s & 83s.  The 83 was a pretty major upgrade in suspension, fuel system and ergonomics.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

There you have it.  You'll want about everything that's not broken.  :D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

daer21

The 83 tank is complete toast. It had golf ball size rust holes and so is now decorating my trash can. I did remove the fuel sensor and the petcock/pump if anyone is interested. So I need both sets of shocks (the 83 rear did look nicer) but I can just steal the brake system and mount it? I also have the upper fairing, but its horribly cracked (the bottom is gone) Also the 82 i'm restoring comes with a  Pichler fairing. Anyone interested let me know. I'm thinking I want the faired look but I'm not sure. The driver foot pegs are bent beyond use, but I might be able to save the brackets that they came on.
I really appreciate everything that you guys told me, alot of stuff I would never have thought about.

QBS

Also, retain the R/R and the TCI box.  They're valuable and interchangeable with '82s.

YellowJacket!

You'll need the 83 fork lowers to make the brakes fit your 82.  The 82 fork lowers only have a mounting point for one caliper.  So, if the lowers are in good shape, use them.  If the fork tubes (uppers) are bent, the 82 tubes will still work.  I did it on my Vision that way.
The 83 shock is a direct replacement for the 82 and is considered an improvement.
The 83 handlebar risers are really only needed if you go with the 83 full fairing but also give you a little more forward crouch.  Since you have bothe sets, try'em out and see which seating postition you like best.
Good job on saving the fuel sender.  I chucked mine and wished I hadn't.

David

h2olawyer

One more thing I forgot - keep the air caps from the 83 forks - just in case you are considering taking everything apart.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

aww, just keep the whole dang thing.... there are so many bits you may need someday... everyone needs a parts Vision or two..

need a starter.. you got it
need a relay... you got it...
something acting funky? swap it to eliminate that possibility

between the two, dress the 82 with the best parts.... keep the spares, others might need 'em

need an 83 tank? I got one
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:)...Of course, you could rebuild the '83 using the '82 parts that you need ;) It would make for a much easier change out!!!

Where are you located.... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

daer21

I'm located in Raleigh, NC. I'm afraid that the wheels on the bike had sized and to move it we had to tear it down. I had to cut the clutch cable, the brake cable, and the throttle cable (that might actually still be good, I'd have to check). The reason I'm starting with the 82 is that it has a freshly rebuilt motor (it was rebuilt years back but was never used), and has never been wrecked. It has also been stored inside vs outside. My first order of buisness is to get the 82 running (i have alot of off time this week) and then to work on swaping on 83 parts to make it a better bike. The 82's relatively rust free, the 83 is covered in surface rust, and also has lots of dented bits. Frames solid so as soon as i'm done stripping it I have a straight, soon to be rust free, frame to build from. The tops of the forks are pitted with rust on the 83 so I;ll swap the bottoms off of it and keep the 82 tops. I'm glad that there is such a responsive forum built up here. I'll eventually want info on a complete fairing swap but that's in the future. In the mean time, who wants a Pichler fairing? Its the wrong color for my bike.

daer21

Just to clarify, this is my first motorcycle ever. I come from a riding family but never got into it until recently. My birthday present is riding class.

YellowJacket!

Wooohooo! Raleigh, NC.  Another member for the SoROV (Southern Riders of Vision).  Im in Knoxville, TN.

BTW, if this forum goes down - and it has in the past - heres an alternative:  http://xz550.forumotion.net/forum.htm

David