Need new Exhaust

Started by Bladerunner, January 11, 2002, 06:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bladerunner

I have 4 XZ550 Visions here in need of new exhausts. The factory units are a bit pricy at $600.00 and flawed in design. I am looking for a good aftermarket unit with the same 2-2 setup and similar balanced design. Anyone know of one? Or am I stuck with the factory stuff?

Dave

:) I have a brand new MAC system. It is 2 into 2 (well, actually two-into-one on the front pipes, and the rear Y-pipe feeds into it's own silencer). The system is black, and has not been bolted up yet, new in box. I had to bring it down from Canada, so if you pay my cost, you can have it. I have $280 total into getting it here. I will be honest, I was not impressed with the overall quality, but, it is not all that bad.

Lucky

the stock Mac pipes are straight thru, and very loud. their construction isn't top quality, but the design is sound.  there were reverse flow baffles made, but they are no longer avalable.  Glen & I recreated a set.

I am working on a new design for homemade baffles to fit both the Mac exaust (using the stock perforated pipe and some common auto store parts) and for the stock Vision system  (poss assembled for us by a local company)   i'm thinking straight thru (mostly) will be the way to go.  I'm learning from others mistakes and triumphs.
i'm working towards a tolerable volume, and a low pitch.
i'll provide more details as soon as I have enough info.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Dave

;D I am working on my own complete system, mostly because I am so dissapointed in the MAC. I have the can, and am in the process of designing front pipes. The trick here is to achieve equal volume. I will post once I have more progress.

Bladerunner

Quote:) I have a brand new MAC system. It is 2 into 2 (well, actually two-into-one on the front pipes, and the rear Y-pipe feeds into it's own silencer). The system is black, and has not been bolted up yet, new in box. I had to bring it down from Canada, so if you pay my cost, you can have it. I have $280 total into getting it here. I will be honest, I was not impressed with the overall quality, but, it is not all that bad.

Dose it have the pipes on both sides or dose the left side cross over to the right? I belive they made them both ways.

Bladerunner

Quote;D I am working on my own complete system, mostly because I am so dissapointed in the MAC. I have the can, and am in the process of designing front pipes. The trick here is to achieve equal volume. I will post once I have more progress.

Let me know how it gos. If you have any break thrues I would be interested. Going to need a few befor late spring.

Dave

;) The MAC system has both silencers on the right hand side, opposite the shaft drive housing.

I will keep you posted on the progress on my own system, it made some small progress last night. Baby steps...

vern748

I have a stock 82 exhaust in good condition. There is some minor surface rust but the chambers and collectors are in good shape. It is a Calif. bike, aka, no salt, no snow, dry heat.
You will need you own collector (3) straps.

Vern