News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

and another one!!! with pictures...SOLD

Started by Tiger, June 28, 2009, 07:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Kev10104 & I picked up #12, a sad looking "rolling chassis" '82...Engine/frame/wheels/wire loom/front & back lights but not much else on her!!! All the rest of the parts were in two totes!!! Several parts are missing...Gas tank, master cylinder, clutch perch, left side diamond shaped plastic... but I should have them "in stock"

I gave her an all over soaking in degreaser, scrubbed her from top to bottom, front to back...and then power washed her completely down. Then I washed her over again with a wax wash, rinsed and dried her off...She doesn't look half as bad now!!!

Hauled off the oem exhaust system...it was completly shot!!!...and now for a set of MAC's to make her roar!!!

I've installed new plugs/wires/caps, Pos/neg power leads, replaced the fusebox/fuses with modern blade type including the one in the headlight.

When I removed the coil, on the left side, the ground wire was snapped off!!! I picked it up in the loom and grafted a new wire with a ring terminal and added it back in at the coil, once I had cleaned that part of the frame back to bare metal.

The carbs are out for cleaning and the gas tank/plastics are away for painting. She will be sporting a new bright Red look very soon...

...and I have a new owner lined up, ready and waiting with $$$ in hand

TIGER

ps #11, a one owner, Star Silver '82 in beautifull condition with only 28,000Kms (17,500 miles!!) on her and #13, Wolf's one owner, Star Silver '82, both sold this past week...Given the response from kijiji and Craigs List, I could have sold two or three more!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kev10104

Number 11 was absolutely beautiful.It is hard to believe somebody kept that bike in such great condition and wanted to get rid of it.What a great find.

Tiger

Went into the garage to work on #12 at 8 a.m. and came out at.......8 p.m!!!

Achieved...Between a couple of hours yesterday and today...

Drained the engine oil/oil filter...scanky!!!

Drained the rear drive oil...double scanky!!! and refilled with fresh oil (Castrol).

Removed the left side engine cover to find...A real crispy stator!!! Replaced it with a gently used unit...

Pulled the flywheel and as it flew off and onto the old bath towel I use, there lay one of the starter clutch bolt heads!!! The other two bolts were all but out!!! However, the starter clutch was O.K. and was rebuilt using new soc' head cap screws and RED loctite!!!
The balancer nut also needed torquing up and the locking tabs bent over!!
Put her all back together, made a new cover gasket and bolted her all back together again using new S.S. hardware.
Refilled with fresh oil and added a new OEM oil filter.

I put the R/R on a bracket beside the rear wheel and hard wired in the stator-R/R connections...

The rear wheel was removed and the rear brake striped down and cleaned/serviced...actually there were NO brake shoes in there !!! There are now...!!!
The brake bar was removed/striped and painted, (Satin Black)...and reinstalled with new hardware. The rear brake pedal/shaft/rod were removed, cleaned up and lubricated. The brake rod had a coat of Satin Black paint applied...(to match the brake bar).
The two aluminum plates, (left/right side), were replace with two that I had on the shelf that had been bead blasted and sprayed with clear coat. The rear wheel/brake bar/rod, etc were all reinstalled...

When I removed the oem exhaust system the other day, the top right side stud snapped leaving a decent nub...however it took me a few hours today of heat and penetrating fluid to get the bugger out!!! but out it eventually came...She now sports a nice set of MAC's...growl baby!!!

Replaced all the foot pegs and the side stand with a cleaned/painted set that I had ready and waiting on the shelf...

She was missing a seat lock but I picked one up from the wreckers yesterday (with two keys) and fitted that on...
and after giving the seat a good scrub to get all the grime off, that was then fitted.

The rad' and hoses still need to go on. Front brake now has a master cylinder fitted but the system has to be bled off...However, the bulk of the work is done.

Once I get the carbs back from cleaning and the gas tank/plastics from their repaint, I'll get her fired up and a safety certificate done...

Time for a beer and a scotch, me thinks...

TIGER

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Rick G

Tiger, you've been a busy boy! :) :)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Glad you had a fun day, Tiger.  Mine sucked.   ;)  I went on a ride of around 300 miles.  Large group for the first 80 - 85 miles, then three of us for the next 100 and two for the final leg.  IT DIDN'T RAIN ON US!!  First pair of clear days in over a month.  I had a breakthrough in the twisties today & made it home down aa long, twisty canyon in about 30 fewer minutes than normal.  Guess my day wasn't so bad after all.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Rad' and hoses are all cleaned up, fitted and the system refilled with fresh, long life coolant. The front brake now has a master cylinder fitted and has been bled off... 8)
Now all she needs are the carbs back from cleaning and the gas tank/plastics from painting and she will be all ready for her new lady owner...who lives a couple of streets away.
Her husband, who rides a Harley Sportster, came over Tuesday night to check on progress, stayed and had a beer or three, asked a few questions and went home a happy guy...that is looking forward to taking this Vision for a spin 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) SHE'S ALIVE, ALIVE I SAY 8) 8) 8) I pottered around, finishing off bits and piece's, (new hand grips, etc), checking this and that and thought to my self..."Self, I wish I could hear her roar"  8)

However, the carbs wont be back until next week...likewise the gas tank/plastics :(

Hmmmmm  :-\, so I removed the gas tank, air box and carbs from #14 and put them on to #12  ;) and with a wee bit of coaxing...and a boost from my Chev!!...she fired up 8) 8) 8) Runs really nice, real smooth 8) but will run alot better with clean carbs ::) ;D :D :D :D The starter motor was making some alarming noises, so I switched it out with #14 and all is fine... 8)

Man its been another good day... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Superb...just took a call to let me know that the gas tank/plastics are painted 8) 8) I'll pop in and pick them up tomorrow...thanks Robert 8) Once I get the carbs back, she will look and sound superb 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

kev10104

You have to love when they wake up and roar again.

QBS

Tiger, when you get a low milage V with an unknown history regarding starter clutch and starter motor oil seal upgrades, do you do those upgrades as part of your preparation for sale?

Tiger

Quote from: kev10104 on July 06, 2009, 05:10:42 PM
You have to love when they wake up and roar again.

8) Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowl baby growl ;D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

Quote from: QBS on July 06, 2009, 06:10:21 PM
Tiger, when you get a low milage V with an unknown history regarding starter clutch and starter motor oil seal upgrades, do you do those upgrades as part of your preparation for sale?

:) I always remove the left side engine cover and flywheel...Starter clutch bolts removed and new ones installed with RED loctite, 46mm shaft nut torqued up and locking tabs (both) peened over, visual check (as well as electronic) to the stator...always!!! The starter motor, unless it has any issues, I leave alone...

8).......TIGER....... 8)

vadasz1

Quote from: Tiger on July 06, 2009, 04:13:26 PM
:) Superb...just took a call to let me know that the gas tank/plastics are painted 8) 8) I'll pop in and pick them up tomorrow...thanks Robert 8) Once I get the carbs back, she will look and sound superb 8) 

The red is really popping. Maybe as this Vis going to a lady this one should be named FERRARI.  See ya in the morning buddy.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

QBS

Tiger, since you have probably done more starter clutch repairs than anyone else on the board, please give us a report of what you have found over the last 14 or so Vs'.  Generally speaking, the condition of the clutches' various componets, common characteristics and the milages that apply to them, that sort of forensic thing.

kev10104

He is going to tell you that thry all need to be done sooner rathger then later.,

vadasz1

Wait till you see the pics of this one.  Man it will look G R E A T ! ! !

Get your hankies ready boys!  8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

:) Q, I'll be glad to, however, I'll start a separate thread... ;)

8) Picked up the gas tank/plastics from vadasz1 today...WOW!!!...that Red is really RED 8) 8) Good job Robert... 8)

Pic's coming soon folks...

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Night Vision

do I get to name it? I missed the last couple because they went so fast.... but I know what I want to call this one
;D

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on July 07, 2009, 09:51:48 PM
do I get to name it? I missed the last couple because they went so fast.... but I know what I want to call this one

::) Editors licence... ::) ;D  :D :D :D :D :D... ;) on ya go bro'...

Night Vision

INTRODUCING.......                                                    

....... Engine No. 12                                                    

wait, are your fire trucks RED up there?

you need to start hand painting your name and the limited edition #'s on these beauts
;D