Ride Video

Started by h2olawyer, May 11, 2006, 03:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Two times I've posted a link to my latest video & two times, the ROV server crashed.  Coincidence?

We'll try it a third time to see if things will stay stable.

http://home.comcast.net/~rmgrover/images/4-26-06J.avi

The server I'm using is a little slow, so if you hit the rewind button on your player a few seconds after it starts playing, the video should play smoothly.  It's a fairly large file, about 23MB, (1 minute, 47 seconds) so if you're on dial-up you could be waiting a while for it to download.  However, the large file size will allow for full screen playback with only modest loss of clarity.

The clip is from a section of Colorado Highway 14 called Poudre Canyon.  The highway follows the Cache La Poudre river for about 60 miles west of Fort Collins.  Just about the entire 60 miles is canyon with some wide spots where there are small towns, resorts, some cabins or pasture land & hay meadows.  In this scene, the location is about 45 minutes from my house.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

Once before you mentioned something about a trick you were using to keep from getting wind noise in your recordings.  What was that?
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

h2olawyer

The trick is finding a well protected spot for the remote microphone.  I found clipping it to the inside of the weather flap on the tank bag provides the protection it needs.  The mic is a high gain type so when it is in any moving air, the rumble drowns out any other sound.  There is a small alligator clip zip-tied to the microphone that allows for attachment in many locations.  It came from HelmetCamera dot com that way.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Mutt

Nice vid H2O. I could see Colorado as a 25th ride!  :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

Quote from: Mutt on May 11, 2006, 11:07:56 PM
Nice vid H2O. I could see Colorado as a 25th ride!  :)

Mutt

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing about the 25th anniversary ride.  The geographical center of the lower 48 states is in north central Kansas.  However, no offense to our great midwestern members, but the riding there isn't the funnest.  Try a google on Fraser, Colorado.  It's near Winter Park and close to tons of great rides.  I rode my V all over that area just after I got it in the early & mid '80s.  It's also an easy trip to Rocky Mountain National Park & returning over the same road that's in the video.  A long day ride to the Snowy Range Road in Southern Wyoming is even possible.  That would include the great Willow Creek Pass road - both directions!  Another possibility is over Berthoud Pass to a short section of Interstate 70 to Idaho Springs and on up to the top of Mount Evans at over 14,000 ft.  The highest paved road in the US.

Fraser is just far enough from Winter Park & Rocky Mountain National Park that motel & condo rates are decent in the Summer.  There's plenty of entertainment for the non-riding people accompanying the riders & all family friendly!

I have been in contact with some of the CROV gang & they weren't too thrilled with the Ohio idea.  I think if we had it someplace in the Rockies, it would have the best chance of attracting the most people.  Plus, with around a year to plan & save $$, it should be quite a party.  The shindig should be a full week long so people who can only make it for a short time can choose either a weekend or midweek stay.  It could also take place in two or three different towns over the course of the week - kind of a rolling party with great rides all around.  Fuel stops are at most 100 miles apart on any of the rides.

I'll be taking a few rides in that area this summer & should have video of Willow Creek Pass, Trail Ridge Road (Rocky Mountain National Park) & the Snowy Range Road.  Will post some clips & have longer rides on DVD so I can send copies to anyone interested.

Just my $0.02, but think about it!

H2O

MotorPlow

I don't care where it is as long as it's centrally located... Ohio, Colorado, Kansas, I don't care. I think the bigger thing we need right now is someone to commit and follow through with the hosting and planning of the event... Preferably someone who is also centrally located.

Mutt

Quote from: MotorPlow on May 12, 2006, 01:24:51 PM
I don't care where it is as long as it's centrally located... Ohio, Colorado, Kansas, I don't care. I think the bigger thing we need right now is someone to commit and follow through with the hosting and planning of the event... Preferably someone who is also centrally located.

Maybe someone from the Colorado area?  :) :)

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

See "25 year anniversary meet" posting in the "Off Topic" area.

H2O

h2olawyer

Just had another great ride this evening, dodging some thundershowers.  Rode the "normal" wednesday evening 80 mile loop, but went the opposite direction this time.  Have some video but it isn't edited down as yet.  Didn't see much in the capture process that I'm anxious to save but I may be able to use some & post it later.  I really need to do this ride again solo to get better video.  The lead rider today was a bit unsure of his bike on wet roads.  At least he got some practice!

However, I did take a couple still photos during our ride break.  The bikes are a Yamaha GTS1000, a BMW R1150RS & my Vision.

H2O

ps2/bikevision

shut up already. those of us that cant ride rite now are soo sick you you braging.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

just playin. god i got to get out on a bike.  keep the vids coming. atleast if i cant ride i can watch.

h2olawyer

;D :D ;D :D ;D ;)

Just want folks to know there are some Visions in this world that are reasonably reliable & actually get ridden - about 100 miles per week average in the last year, ALL for fun!  At times, it's not easy keeping up with those big sport-tourers, but at least my riding skills are improving.  ;D  Still, if they want to wick it on coming out of a tight section, onto some straights & sweepers, I'll get left in the dust no matter how hard I flog the V, so I always remember to "ride my own ride" and try not to damage either the V or my body.  :D

Have a video I'm working on from the 5-17 ride.  Wet roads in spots but missed the actual storms.  Lead rider was taking it very easy.  ::)  I wanted to go faster & that's been rare for me over the years.  We were riding about 5 over the posted limit (25MPH on much of the road).  I'll try to get up there with the video alone in the near future to get some better footage.  Will post what I have later.

H2O