dont know what to do

Started by Chivo1944, July 09, 2008, 09:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chivo1944

my bike was having the problem of when you hit the starter it would only crank twice then stop and if you release the starter and hit it again same thing only 2 cranks it got a new battery, new plugs, rebuilt starter, and not sure what to do i need to get this thing running it still only cranks over twice and thats it
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

Lucky

first (easiest) check the start switch, i had to open up mine once for the same thing & clean the contacts.  i used a nail file to lightly clean the contacts shiney.

even though your battery is new, try jumping to a non-running car battery, if it starts, your looking at charging issues.

jump from the battery directly to the starter.  if the starter spins well, your looking at starting system issues.

if it doesn't crank well, you'll have to pull the starter again...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Did you rebuild the starter or was it done professionally?  if you did it your self , it may be out of time.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Chivo1944

i built it my self but it is doing the same thing it did before i rebuilt it so i should take apart the starter switch on the handle and clean that and try jump starting the nike with a car battery while the engine is not running do i connect the positive from the battery to the connector on the end of the starter or what
Ben

Rick G

Hook the neg terminal to the engine on the bike , momentarily touch the pos to the starter terminal , if it still does it I would still suspect the starter is out of time . Did it my self on the first one I did!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Chivo1944

ok thanks i will give it a try tomorrow and let you guys know whats up
Ben

Walt_M.

If you suspect the starter gears are out of time, pull the starter and turn the gear on the starter. It will be a bit stiff but it should turn the same at all positions. If it gets stiff anywhere, it is probably out of time. You will have to open it up and realign the planetary gears, a fairly simple operation but critical.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fiat-doctor

Is it possible the oil pressure switch and the neutral switch wires are switched?  Seems like I read about this before... would crank until it had oil pressure and then stop.
                         Steve

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////