News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

make your own fuel filter

Started by bikeseamus, January 10, 2003, 01:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikeseamus

This will work for you if you suspect rust in your fuel tank. Get an inline fuel filter with a replaceable element. Russell made mine, but they do have others. Throw the element away, and replace it with the most powerful magnet you can buy. Make sure the magnet is not big enough to obstruct flow. Use it with your regular fuel filter, but put it inline before, not after. It will pull a single ferrous molecule out of your fuel before it gets to your precious carbs or injectors. Check the magnet out and keep it wiped off. N0 one needs iron particles in their carbs or combustion chambers. Now switch out your crankcase drain plug for a magnetic one taken from the rear end of any of your buddies shaft drive yamahas (just kidding,stealing is wrong) Most bike junkyards will switch you for your non magnetic plug for a buck or two. Now you can pull iron out of your oil too. No down side to that.

jasonm.

How did you fit 2 filters in that short area from tank to carbs?
The drain plug thing I did a long time ago. GOOD IDEAS.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

bikeseamus

Jason    I looped my fuel line toward the left in a full 360, then tie wrapped it inside the fairing. An old guy about 35 years ago showed me the loop trick,with the inline fuel filter mounted as vertically as possible,so all particles have to fight gravity, and your filter, to get at your carbs. This simple trick really works. Try to make the magnetic filter as accessable as possible,because you will be wiping iron from the magnet. Another small plus of the big loop is a slight cooling of your fuel. With the molecules packed a little tighter, I'm sure it's good for another .000000078354 horsepower on the dyno. It'll make for a real neck snapper!

Lucky

I have found that the filters I use fit neatly between the fuel pump and the black rubber coated bracket that holds the choke cable in place.  I don't have a package here to tell you who makes the part, etc, but next time i'm in the hardware store, i'll get the info.  it's a plastic cone shaped filter with a sintered bronze filter.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikeseamus

Jason  J.C. Whitney sells the little cone shaped filters Lucky mentioned for two bucks each. AGAO60600A is the part #, and J.C. Whitney has a toll free # - 1-800-853-4227. When you get parts from them they will include a new catalog, but you might remind them you want a new motorcycle catalog with your order,because they sell quite a few parts that are made for the vision or will work on the vision.Hope this helps.