A cold start tip and a clock idea.

Started by QQBS, January 06, 2003, 07:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QQBS

I've passed this tip on before but there are several new faces here that may missed it.  Last weekend I used it as usual and was still impressed with how helpful it is.

When attempting to start your V after a week or more inactivity begin by putting the petcock on "Prime" and then gently tap the side of each carb with a long heavy object such as a socket extension or large screw driver.  

Sometimes when I go to start my '83 after a week or more of sitting, it will have to crank quite a will before firing.  Then sometimes it will fire on the first crank rotation.  I concluded that the float bowl needle valve might be sticking in the up position.  I found that tapping the bowl to knock the needle down and then waiting for the bowl to fill and the rest of the various passages to fill usually results in much quicker and easier starts.

Another tip:  I have installed in line fuel cutoff valves on both the outbound and return(found only on '83's) fuel lines.  This gives me absolute control of fuel flow with dependance on the factory petrcock.

Clock Idea.  For the longest time I have wanted a good clock on my "83 V.  I tried an inexpensive J. C. Whitney digital unit that showed promise before water confused it.  Besides, it washed out completley in direct sun.  Then my hopes were raised again when I discovered a source of VDO analog clocks for only $50.00US each.  However, futher research revealed them to be out of proportion to rest of the instrument cluster.

My latest and greatest idea is to velcro a cheap quartz chrystal analog wrist watch(minus band) to an attractive spot on the fairing "dash board".  Then.....illuminate it at night with a light socket and wiring mounted out of sight on the underside of the fairing lip.  The socket will be wired to be hot only when the ignition is on.  I may even use a socket sourced from a spare V instrument cluster.

Most of these type of watches have battery lives of a year or so and are reasonably water and shock resistant.  The velcro mounting will allow easy removal for V baths, time setting, and battery replacement.

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome.  Cheers.

bikeseamus

Goodidea on the clock,I can confirm. When the cheap East German clock on my 95 MZ Skorpion gave up the ghost four tears ago, I replaced it with a similar white faced analog wristwatch that I ground the band mounts off. It snapped cleanly into the original mount and has withstood rain and washes without a problem of misting or lying to me. Your idea of a remote light source is a good one too. On starting, what works for me is four throttle cranks of the accellorator pumps before I turn the key on. It hits without fail in a second or two.

zayanteman

Try the LED backlit digital clock that Aerostich sells,
called a Moto Clock.
Looks nice and its 23 bucks.
Haven't tried it yet myself, but plan to.
http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store
(look under timekeeping devices, maybe 3 pages in)

bikehandle

Just a thought,

Afew hours resoak and jet check will make it go from a twelve crank wonder to a half crank ride any temp!
From experience and a hell of a lot of advice.

Bikehandle

god, save me from my fondest wish!