News:

Main Menu

Gas Tank Repair

Started by TonyT, November 12, 2002, 10:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyT

I have the inevitable Vision gas tank leak blues, and it's unfortunately a terminal case (beyond POR-15).  In my search for a solution I found this company which does a guaranteed professional tank repair to include hole plugging with brass and tank coating inside with an industrial strength epoxy.  If you don't mind losing the exterior paint (they blast it off), they'll do the job for 125 Canadian or about USD 80.  Not bad.  I'm strongly considering this option versus buying a used 20 year-old tank which probably has the beginnings (at best) of internal rust anyway.  Has anyone else used this company?  Check them out at:

http://www.leakersgastanks.com/motorcycle_tanks.html

Cdnlouie

Hey thanks for the site. ?It looks like a lot of work for $125cdn (good price). ?I assume that there may still be the problem of finishing the brass welding (looks like?) with bondo as some of the holes are going to be on the tank exterior (near the bottom low spots). ?I would be interested in what type of epoxy liner they install and how it compares to the guys who recommend the POR product (and maybe it is the same??).

I recently used some Quicksteel epoxy by Cargo (15 hardens and 1hour complete to sand). ?I repaired the exterior with about a 2mm think coating which sealed up one hole about 4mm x 2mm. You could also embed a thin piece of aluminum in the epoxy for a larger hole. This product finished (sanded and primable) very nicely and I repaired the bottom 2 low spots on one side so far and need to test in a couple of days (We will see if this is a good idea or not).  I have nothing to lose so it is worth the experiment.

Thanks for a Great Option,

Louie