News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

What Octane to use???

Started by KoenigsTiger, July 04, 2006, 01:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoenigsTiger

QBS, how do you get 85k miles from the V???  I have 27k km and this looks like the second valve adjustment(First time for me, they are not too tight).  What are some tips on prolonging the life of the V engine???  Haynes says to change oil every 600 miles???  Is that always such a short interval for a high reving bike???  I run Mobil 1.  But now Iam riding alot more, 700km a weekend.  I ve been lagging on the oil changes.  In order to prolong life of the engine what RPM is the best to shift up or down??? What RPM do you usually cruise on the Freeway at???

Thank you very much!
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

QBS

Discalimer:Those that don't agree with my choice of products, maintenance schedule, or operating procedures can criticise if they want.  I don't care.  The results speak for themselves.

My bike is an '83, bought with 3500 miles on it in '84.

I run Castrol GTX 20w50 and Fram oil filters (yes, they are a little tall).  The oil and filter are changed every 2 to 4 k miles, usually closer to 4.  Valve adjustment aprrox. every 20 to 30 k miles.  Coolent change every 4 or 5 years(have mostly used standard basic car antifreeze, last change used Honda coolent and distilled water).  Spark plugs get changed every 30 to 35 k miles.  Front fork oil changed, once or twice, during last 22 years.  The ring and pinion lube oil has been changed once or twice.  I use the entire RPM band from 2,500 to 10,000.  Never lug the engine and never exceed red line.  I always travel with whatever speed the surrounding traffic is doing.  Alone, in the wide open spaces, I'll travel all day at 85 to 90 mph, usually pretty heavily loaded for extended touring/camping.  I have alway used the cheapest regular unleaded gas available, usually 87 octane.

The bike has the factory fork seals, the factory radiator and coolent hoses. None of them leak.  The factory water pump seal was replaced at 10k miles.  That replacement seal is currently in need of replacement.

The muffler system is factory and not in need of replacement.

The factory clutch was replaced at 72k miles.

I'm on my fifth stator, R/R is in stock location(eventually to be relocated to left passenger peg).

Fuel pump was rebuilt at 80k miles.

The bike is on its' second or third TCI box.

Installed tapered steering head bearings at 15k and 70k miles.

Of course, the starter clutch was reattached at 23k miles and the starter motor had a single spring lip oil seal installed at 10k miles.  Have been through two sets of starter motor brushes since then.

The swing arm bearings are stock and the rear end has never needed repair.

The heads have never been off and the cams and cam chains have never been touched.

The vast majority of my milage has been long distance high speed touring.  Longest distance in shortest time: 1100 miles in 17 hours.

The bike is always garaged when not on the road.  Mileage varies between 41 to 44 mpg.

The bike will red line 5th gear on level ground.

KoenigsTiger

WOW!!! :D Iam chucking the Haynes manual out.  Just kidding ;D

This is pretty close to a V Bilble!!! ;D

QBS what would be a lugging RPM??? I understand that there are a lot of factors of load and grade...  What is a good shift up RPM, I usually go 5 or 6...

Thank you very much!!! ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

MotorPlow

I think one of the main factors for a V long life is the fact that it is garaged. V's don't like to be left outside in the elements.

KoenigsTiger

Well, when I got the bike the first owner had it garaged for its life. I had it out for the past 3 or something years.  I dont have a garage, but I guess I havent tried hard enough to find one to put it into.  I guess I could put it into storage.

'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450

QBS

"QBS what would be a lugging RPM??? I understand that there are a lot of factors of load and grade...  What is a good shift up RPM, I usually go 5 or 6..."

Lugging is not so much RPM related as it is load in gear related.  The key is to be sensitive enough to keep the engine spinning freely no matter what gear you're in or what speed you're traveling.  As an extreme example, this can be done in 5th at 3k rpm...IF....the throttle/load is applied very very gently and slowly, and assuming there is no incline and the carbs are in at least a fair state of decent tune.  I must stress that keeping the crankshaft spinning smoothly and freely is the critical key.  At the first sign of jerkiness, grab the clutch and drop down a gear or two.  Practice just a little bit and you'll see what I mean.

Regarding shift RPMs, it depends on how much of a hurry you're in and or the urgency of the situation you find yourself in.  For max acceleration shift at 9500.  Hanging in there until 10K is a waste of time.  Stock Vs' stop making power at 9500.  From a stop, in traffic, I routinely will accelerate pretty quickly to the speed limit and then short shift to 5th for a relaxed low rpm cruise.  There is no need to run through all the gears.  If the speed limit is 30 mph I may take it up to 7500 in first, shift straight to fifth and then cruise at 3500.

Vs have such a wide power band and torque curve, and run so smoothly that they can pretty well be shifted depending on the mood you're in.  I tend to be a little lazy and don't like to shift all that much.

However, there are times(such as passing) when you need to be ready pull the trigger and move NOW, no time for a downshift.  In such circumstances I select the gear that puts the RPM at around 6k and moves the bike at traffic flow speed.  I might stay like that for maybe two or three blocks or more depending on the situation.  Then, when the opportunity presents itself, I'll nail it and shift at 9500 as long as is needed to accomplish my desired move.  6k is in the middle of the V power curve.

Sometimes it's helpful to shift at 6k, which then drops the engine back to 4k, right at the beginning of the torque curve.  Then, accelerate with full throttle to 6 and do it again.  Basically, riding only in the torque curve.  Torquey bikes can be a lot of fun when ridden this way.

Play with your V and have fun.  The only way you can hurt it is to lug the engine.  Cheers.

KoenigsTiger

Heheeheh,  I LOVE IT!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Ive been experimenting a little bit before, and a little now too.  The highest I ve ever gone was 8 in 5th that gave me 160km/h.  I never really wanted to go over that.  Engineered to go 180km/h, right.  But at 10 in 5th will do 200km/h right?  I just dont really want to loose my license or get a nice ;D ticket.  When I finally get the right shims in, maybe I will get it to 9.5.

Thank you very much for all the advice!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
'69 Beetle
'82 Vision
'86 GS450