News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

noisey and leaks a bit!

Started by simsport, September 03, 2005, 08:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simsport

Hi there
I finaly got my bike this weekend and it has a few problems.
There is a water leak from the rear cyl , it looks to be from the base gasket. Also the negine sounds knocky like there is a failed hydraulic tappet.
I'm not sure how these engines should sound. Should they be quiet or should you hear the cams/valves?
Is there an easy fix if not?
Cheers
Simon

Lucky

for the leaky base gasket you'll have to replace it. i believe they are still available, others can confirm this.

for the noise, several things come to mind.
first, the top end of this engine is a little "clacky" it souldn't be super loud, but you can hear it from the saddle mostly.  it may be time to re shim the valves.
Second, these engines have an issue with the starter clutch bolts working loose.  the noise sounds like the bottom end of the bike is going to bust thru the case, but it's not that bad. the telltale is that the noise will go away above 2500 rpm or so. it's not a difficult repair.

instructions for fixing the starter clutch are on my site (linked to the left) and i have service manuals on CD if you need them as well.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

simsport

Lucky
Thanks for that, I'lll check the starter clutch.
I think it sounds loud and not 'normal' and am a little concerned it might be a top end problem.

I'll pull it down and see as long as I can get gaskets etc.

Cheers
Simon