News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Suggested Oil

Started by cjones, August 12, 2002, 12:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

Yeah i wanted to bump this up. I just got some 20W50 oil that has sl and sj and no friction modifiers so I'm gonna slam it in after  I do all the fixes.
KENDALL high performance 20w50 CAR OIL.
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

kwells

does the Yamaha dealer only carry Yamalube or do they carry the Castrol as well?

k
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Walt_M.

That depends on the dealer. You can usually get Castrol GTX at auto stores for a better price. I'm not sure what I'll use next time I need a change. I've got 20/40 Yamalube in both bikes now but I'm thinking of going to a synthetic. Hoping to help the somewhat clunky shifting in the TDM.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

This season i've switched to Castrol Syntec blend 20W-50.  I've added an oil cooler too, but my shifts are smoother and temps are definatly down...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kwells

Lucky is the 20w50 you use designed for motorcycles...or just the stuff from autozone?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

It's not specificly for motorcycles, no, but it aparently has the right properties for wet clutches. i'm using it on the advice of others as well.  Napa sells it
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

silicon_toad2000

My yamaha dealer has all sorts of oils, I complained to him about the prices per litre/quart/whatever compared to what I see for car oils, so he showed me to the yamalube rack. it was way cheaper than all the others.
I think he just overly marks up the other brands of oil.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

ProfessorRex

I really wail on my vision (it's a sport-motorcycle, NOT A VESPA!) So I use the best oil I could find.  BelRay EXS Full synthetic.  IT'S AWESOME.  The bike starts easier, runs cooler, revs faster, and shifts INFINTELY better.  With how little oil the bike needs, and the fact that even at near $10 a quart... that's only $30 a season! Totally worth it in my oppinion!
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

MotorPlow

Quote from: ProfessorRex on August 01, 2005, 01:52:37 AM
I really wail on my vision (it's a sport-motorcycle, NOT A VESPA!)

LMAO!!!!
At deal's gap, we had a little inside joke going...  We were going to start telling people that we had Yamaha Vaspas and that the newer models were step throughs.  We had mega sportbikes on either side of us at the motel.  Vespa was fitting in comparison.

zore

The thing to look out for is any oil that says energy conserving on it, you'll see an EC on the bottom of the label in the back.  Any oil (from what i've seen) any oil that's 10w30 and thinner will have these extra friction modifiers added to it.  I've been using car synthetic for a long time in both my duc and triumph and have yet to have an issue (15w40 and 20w50)
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

simsport

I found it hard to get 20/50 here in the UK. I was advised to buy Putoline 10/40 motorcycle oil...any problems with that?
Cheers
Simon

bmeyer6472

I used Kendall GT-1 20-50 in my Vision for 20 years, and then recently switched to the non energy conserving Mobil 1 15-50 synthetic, which may no longer be available. Bottom line is the Vision starts and shifts better with the synthetic, runs smoother in my opinion, and it leaks less oil now than it did 10 years ago. Go figure. I have had absolutely no problems with clutch slippage. I think a quality mineral or synthetic oil changed at reasonable intervals is all that is required, but I'd stay away from the energy conserving stuff. Sure is interesting to read all the different opinions!  ;D

Rick G

I work part time at  Dunton Motors, the local Artic Cat dealer . Artic Cat  has  asynthic  with there name on it  and I'm trying in my V. i its 3.73 a quart.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

raub

I have been using Rotela T oil (as in Diesel oil). I like its soot cleaning properties in a motorcycle engine.  But then again, I am crazy like that.  So, expect one day me to come and say I killed the motor. :D

Rick G

Rotella t is good stuff.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike