News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

what from ELECTREX?????

Started by lecco, November 04, 2003, 07:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humber

LECCO... REMEMBER TO SOLDER YOUR JOINTS and.. maybe better to have a brand new reg. on you system now..
nie ma podpis?w

Daniel Byers

I read these continued debates/running commentaries on the stator issue and sometimes have to laugh. As I have repeatedly stated, I went over my entire V with a fine toothed comb. Soldered each connection. Replaced stator and RR with Electrex units. Spent literraly hours on the phone with Ritzo discussing direct ground connections, etc. And what did it get me in the end? A little under 6000 miles on the last rebuild and crappoloa...dead system, barely dragging it's ass up to 13V when revs brought up to 5G and above.
Divorce proceedings and other dysfunctional shyte have left my V sitting in the garage all year w/out repair. By next spring I should be single again, and find myself with additional funds (no mortgage...no house either)...so it may be time to sell the V and buy eithr a used Beemer or a new SV...take a look at my ride in the gallery...anyone interested? Lots and lots of work went into it. Lots of spares available too.
Dan Byers

Lucky

Dan, keep the bike, it's paid for, & you know you love it when it runs well! Plus, wouldn't you miss us??  ;)

Ritzo is working on an Heavy duty R/R & stator for us, so stay tuned...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I ride from home to home in the winter , I seldom stop for longer than 30 min. (just to get coffee)  I have a pair of jumper cables , made specially for motorcycles , they are lighter guage and have smaller clips than automotive  types. You could take them along and bum a jump when needed.
 I believe you mentioned in an earlier post, that  the bike stumbled upon acceleration, This indicates that the carbs are in need of dipping and synqing. These two factors will improve cold starts enormously..
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

$90.00 is not out of line for stator replacement labour.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RussD

QuoteRitzo is working on an Heavy duty R/R & stator for us, so stay tuned...--Lucky
Hey Lucky........So it sounds like you've talked to Ritzo since he got my parts. What's the latest word?
2005 Governor Cup Champion Toledo Mudhens

Lloyd Cooper.........the best coach a Michigan opponent could ask for!

'82 Vision (Sold???)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4572170463
'98 Honda Blackbird/CBR 1100XX

Lucky

Actually I haven't, I'm waiting for Rick to get the Teperature data. that's the other piece of info he's waiting for, but Ricks been sidled with bad weather.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RussD

Have we heard anything from Mr. Ritzo lately, or are we still waiting on the temperature data? Been a couple months.......Enquiring minds want to know!!   ;)

'82 Vision (Sold???)

ArrrGeee

ok, it seems to me that the stator in this particular application should be designed to run at 300 degrees pretty much forever without the insulation breaking down.  Does
Electrex offer any specs on the wire\insulation tahat they use ?   I'm also thinking that due to the design, not a whole lot of oil actually splashes on the stator to either warm or cool it. for example, the sight glass is below the stator and it generally looks empty when the engine is running. my feeling is that the engine case that it is bolted to contributes much of the engine heat directly to the unit.
anyone care to comment ?

RussD

GREAT LOGO Ron!!  Kinda says it all, Don't it?!   ;)   ;D

'82 Vision (Sold???)

Humber

I like the logo although blurred, what I don't like are the fonts... on the one hand the skull and the fire intruduce a kind of gothic mood... and on the other hand... hitech, modern font.. it doesn't match with the expresion of the main flaming skull subject.... and the colour... light blue sky like taken from a cartoon..... nonsense....
nie ma podpis?w

ArrrGeee

ok,
How's this one... better?

ArrrGeee

RussD

Quote.... and the colour... light blue sky like taken from a cartoon..... nonsense....
Paul........I feel compelled to say that I truly hope something is being "lost in translation" and you're not purposefully calling Ron's effort "nonsense" ???? ?:(

'82 Vision (Sold???)

supervision

The more I try to make sense of why these stators fail, the more I'm convinced it is simply the excess heat our motors are subjecting the stator to. I have an idea, lets make a water jacket encloser behind where the stator mounts and plumb some water to and from it..... what do ya think?   buy the way I just got my new stator on ups friday, second one from electrolux....FIFTH from new in 50,000 mi.     You know the money I been saving on chain and sprockets is going to stators!!!  tell me what you think...
" border="0

Humber

Of course that I don't call Ron's work a nonsense.. I just wanted to say that I didn't like blue fonts on the flaming logo.... now it is OK... (and don't say that I am criticizing everyone... is not like that)... hope Ron understood what I meant)..
nie ma podpis?w

jasonm.

My '83 has the original stator 20+k on it. Oh, I think I just put a curse on myself. But I don't drive in the city. Which puts the biggest load on the electrical. Highway and backroads are it for me.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Walt_M.

Thanks Jason, that's something I wanted to hear. I too have low miles on my '83 ( just turned over 12K) and still have my original stator and R/R, still working as designed. Are the stator and R/R problems on the '82s only?
Whale oil beef hooked!