Racing Vision makes CycleNews

Started by Mark Roberts, April 05, 2005, 10:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Roberts

Wow! Who would have thought all these years later a Vision may soon be racing in a top level AMA class! Cool! ;D

Mark Roberts

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=7364

fiddlesticks

All I can say is waaaaaaaaaaay coooooooooool!
Im going to print that baby out and bring it down to a certain bike shop where a certain parts counter guy tried to  talk me out of owning an 82 V. ( he was jealous i guess) And Im going to shove it in his face and say ha ha. Funny how I havent seen your type of bike in the cyclenews lately.lol ;D
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

louthepou

Some 8 years ago, at a Eastern Canada racing event, in one Saturday morning open small twin class, a lone Vision was trying its best to keep up with the Kawa ex500 (Ninja 500). The bike was in poor condition, the rider had had way too many cheesburgers during his life, and ever since I've been thinking of bringing my Vision tot he track.

I know there's a group of Vintage racers in Ontario (with one event in Quebec I think), I may just see what's happening there this summer...

Har har har!

Crazy Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

VisionMeister

Check out the AMA flat track web site. There is a great picture of Schnabel sitting on the bike.
Go to the photo gallery for the 4-2-05 Houston race.
You can see some detail of which I think the most interesting is how stock the motor appears and the upward exit of the rear exhaust header. The custom chassis allows the pipes clearance to exit up and loop back down to the staggered mufflers.

Extent

Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

gbranche

Maybe it's my aging eyes playing tricks on me, but it looks like the bike has a chain final drive on the other side of the swingarm...

Greg

h2olawyer

Greg -

No tricks.  Your eyes are fine.  I noticed that chain over there as well.  Unless we're both seeing things!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

VIRAGO_GRIFF

darkvision

Mark,
Thanks for sharing the info. The Vision always had great racing potential despite the shaft drive. This bike will be a winner with more development.
best wishes, DarkVision

Tdub

Like to introduce myself. My name is Tryce aka Tdub. I am the lucky guy who get's to wrench on JR's "YZF750". I am the big guy in the picture with JR in the pits, taken at a test day in Houston.
I am currently assembling a new motor for a test day in Illinois next week. If all goes well we would like to debut the bike at the Joliet National in a few weeks, but we still have a few issues to work out so it will probably take some more testing.
So far the bike runs well. But we still are just a little shy of the HP that the XRs are putting out, but it is within reach.
Your forum seems to be very informative, and I will try to contribute as well. later, Tdub
Always Looking for the Next Race

h2olawyer

Hi Tdub -

Glad you found us!  That Vision engine race project looks great.  I envy your position, getting to wrench on it.  Look forward to reading more about what you're doing with the bike.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Welcome Tdub, prepair yourself for the onslaught of questions aboit the bike, especially from Blake about the chain drive conversion...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

Hey TDub,

Any chance you guys will be racing the vision around the mid east this summer? I know the ama schedule takes them past ohio and concorde, and especially hagerstown md (nice short drive from me). just wanted to see if you guys would be at them.   ?Id defaintely love to come check out a race or two and see how the Vision motor is creeping up on the harleys.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Tdub

Blake, we contest all of the AMA nationals, including hagerstown. Hopefully we will have the Vision sorted out by then where we can compete heads up with it. Tdub

Superfly

Why are you racing a 23 year old engine? ?In the past 23 years, someone has had to come up with something better.... Right?? ?Dont get me wrong, I think it is great, I love this bike, it is a great ride! ?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Tdub

QuoteWhy are you racing a 23 year old engine? ?In the past 23 years, someone has had to come up with something better.... Right?? ?Dont get me wrong, I think it is great, I love this bike, it is a great ride! ?

We felt that this was the best Yamaha suitable for what we are doing.

Superfly

That is what I wanted to hear!! ?;D

What are you using for the Carbs on that bike?
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Tdub

Blake

Oh man,

I'm like a kid in a candy store here with all the infomration TDub can give out.

FCR Carbs!  and 41mm at that!  ;D

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."