what octane of gas do you guys use?

Started by Emart, September 05, 2007, 09:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[jh]

I put the highest I can get at the station I fill up at, which I think is..............92. I always fill up at the same station, I feel that it helps perserve my beautiful  little vision poo. I put the highest in because it's the only bike I have and I don't have money to buy another one, plus it's just gotta help.
wow!

zore

So I'm riding home from work.  Doing my usual 65 mile road trip and decide to fill it up.  Now usually I fill it up with regular since she runs fine and doesn't ping but today... today I put super in.  I felt no difference at all, but with in only 5 short miles, the exhaust fell off.  I TELL YOU SUPER IS NO GOOD FOR THESE THINGS!

The funniest bit about the whole adventure was the fact that I've put 12000 miles on it or so since the end of 05 and other than a carb clean, a battery and a stater at 9k, it's been trouble free.  And those were the thoughts going thru my head when i heard the shame full bark of the rear cyl thru an unobstructed down pipe.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kwells

should go back to the gas station and demand they replace ur exhaust!
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tanno

....and tell them to specify the TNT additive next time. ::)
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Brian Moffet

In 1994 (or right around there), at the Watsonville Airshow and Fly In, Chevron accidentally mixed jet fuel with aviation fuel.  Every plane that got fuel put in it at the air show was forced to get rebuilt by the FAA.  Basically jet fuel is around 50 octane, which will cause immediate knocking and pre-detonation.

Not a good thing.

Brian (that wass the last rebuild of my airplane engine...)

ColinthePilot

running higher octane than needed is a waste. In a given engine (say a 550cc V-Twin) upping the octane won't add more power. Higher compression motors need the higher octane. From what I can tell, the Vision doesn't.
However, 100 octane Aviation Gas is usually 100LL or "Low Lead." Would that be an issue in our V's since they don't have catalytic converters?
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

h2olawyer

The leaded fuel is an issue in vehicle with caatalytic converters.  The lead deposits eventually clog them up.  Saw one cut open once - not a pretty picture.  Many older engines had softer valve seats.  Unleaded fuel in those engines would cause damage to the seats.  Not a problem with the V engines.

When the Vision was released, unleaded fuels were still in use, but not yet fully mandated.  The fuel requirement listed on the emissions sticker inside the TCI cover recommends ninety something octane leaded fuel.

H2
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tanno

Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Rick G

I've been  running reg   since I first rode my Vision out the garage door in 1999 .  In MN., with there corn gas and in OR., with there damp atmosphere ,  and  here in Northern AZ at 3500 feet altitude and hot dry air . I've tried  all brands and types and cant tell any differance. 
The only differance  I noticed is when I go to Prescott  (as with  the CROV boys) and it runs like crap, but thats due to  the 6500 feet elevation  and not being jetted for it.