News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

values of vision

Started by taank, June 01, 2007, 01:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Ron is so right.  My wife and I rode many miles together before we married.  After marriage, while on an extended European bike tour, she got real spoiled by the comfort of a fellow travelers R75/5 BMW.  Back home a year and half later, she surprised me with a fully touring equipped R60/5.  We rode it for the next ten years.

zore

Quote from: kwells on August 31, 2007, 03:30:01 PM
Zore,
what do you think about the daytona compared to the Monster?  I've been eyeballing the new Street Triple, which has many of the same elements as the daytona.

My monster is not stock.  I've done alot of thing to it that have made it not so nice on the street, but then again, not bad either.  Since I don't recall what the stock monster really felt like, I'd have to give it to the street triple.  I'll never sell my monster, but the triumph I3 is just a thing of wonder.  The 675 even more so since the bike is so light.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kwells

I just sat on the new Street Triple and I gotta say it feels really nice.  The ergos are very natural.  This winter will determine what I do next spring.  I may just restore my extra Vision and sell it next spring in primo condition and just go to one running Vision.   It is hard to justify having an extra bike sitting around in 3/4ths condition.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

since this thread is wandering all over the place, I'll report that I've had no stator problems. my problems  are
hammered rods, I'm into my second crank in two years. Of corse they were used bottom ends  and I ride the hell out of it.  Next time I'm going to have to get new inserts and have the crank reground . I still have two more parts engines, but one has a bad gearbox and I don't remember which one! Its  always the left rod the goes , since its farthest from the  oil pump. I wish there was a way to boost the oil pressure, I'll have to look into that.

kwells

gotta say your a minority around here. Bottom end issues are almost non existent.  There is a wide range of those that run their V's hard and those that nurse them but I have yet to hear of this issue.  Sit tight....there will be others coming to chime in soon enough.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Despite the low number of posts, Rick is one of the "old guard".  Just hasn't been online with us in a while.  Sure glad he's back!  Haven't ridden with him (yet!), but the stories from the Kingman CROV ride are legendary!!!

Bottom ends are not generally a problem, but using used parts is always risky.  Many mechanics were fooled by the starter clutch bolts, telling owners years ago that the rattle was the bottom end & thus, basically, terminal.   ::)  Wonder if dealers in the late 80s wanted to get as many Visions off the road as possible, so Yamaha could deny they ever existed?!?   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I'm have a problem getting the site to recognise me , it said  my name did not exist, so I went ahead and used it,  so  I'm a newby now . When I looked in the members list, It was there  as a senior member , I'm confused. I've emailed Ron  maybe he can figure it out.

When I worked  in a last resort shop in Oregon , the owner who is even older than me !  mentioned that the left rod bearing  was prone to failure, it being the one farthest  from the oil supply.

h2o any time you want to ride down here I'd be pleased to show you around .and this is the time of year , before the snow fries in Colorado.

h2olawyer

Thanks for the invite, Rick.  I've been shuttling a Formula Mazda between Ft. Collins & Phoenix the last couple years.  We normally go down in April & the bikes fit into the trailer with the car.  Makes getting around the pits much easier!  If we go again this April, I'll have my buddy stop in Flagstaff on the way home so I can head over to finally meet you!  Would be a fun ride to Ft. Collins from there.  Not only meeting a Vision legend,  :D  but also an excellent opportunity to ride through Monument Valley!  Just have to watch closely for the drunk Native American drivers in that area.  Last time through there, (the fall, 2004 CROV ride), I saw several old, beat up vehicles weaving from edge to edge on the pavement - both on I-40 & the hwy toward Kayenta.

I'm going to the CROV ride in Tehachapi this week.  Depending on how things are going in Ft. Collins with my dad, I may have time to stop by on Monday, October 1, taking the longer way home.  Send me your contact info in an email or PM.

Riding that distance from here is questionable for now.  I'm burning up stators at a frightening rate.  Averaging one every thousand miles.   ::)  Recently adjusted my thermostat & hoping the cooler running makes the difference.  If not, I'll swap flywheels to see if I'm vibrating the things to death.

Again, glad to see you back on the forum!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 24, 2007, 02:58:42 AM
......  I'm burning up stators at a frightening rate.  Averaging one every thousand miles.   ::)  Recently adjusted my thermostat & hoping the cooler running makes the difference.  If not, I'll swap flywheels to see if I'm vibrating the things to death.........

H2O

have you thought about checking to see if your flywheel is in balance? similar to static balancing a wheel...

this last flywheel I have off has two countersunk drill holes on the outside. I don't recall seeing them on the other flywheels, but then again, they might all have them...

they are obviously intended to balance the flywheel
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

My flywheel has one or two of those 'divots' as well.  The only way I may have changed the balance is when I changed the starter clutch bolts.

May be one of those duh questions, but how does one go about checking / correcting the balance of a Vision flywheel?

H2O

Night Vision

I thought maybe if you got a big enough dowel to go through the center hole, you could then put it on your static wheel balancer  ???

and instead of adding lead weights.... just drill more divots
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

67GTO

I would check with a machine shop that balances drive shafts and yokes.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV