Main Menu

oil

Started by kwells, May 03, 2005, 04:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

been doing a search for any old posts about the preferred engine oil.  I bought another vision last weekend and I'll be needing to do a couple oil changes.  I was thinking about doing a synthetic rather than conventional but what would be the proper weight oil needed for the vision?

k
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ProfessorRex

I used the Bel-Ray EXS full synthetic, it's amazing how much better the gear box/clutch feels!  It's really damn exspensive, but I think it's worth it.  The weight is 10W-50 for the bell ray, we need 20W-50 so it's perfect.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Wayne

kwells-If you can get a copy of Sport Rider Mag., October 2003 Issue, page 65 thru page 74, you will know more about motorcycle oils than any dealer can tell you. LOL

fiddlesticks

Is your bike a high mileage bike? I ask because using full synthetic can be too slippery. I used full synthetic last year and started leaking oil out of my heads. There is also danger of sucking oil past the rings if the engine is very worn. Although it does help shifting it also can cause more problems than its worth. Remember this bike was probably made 10 years before synthetic oil was even invented. I am currently running the BelRay rex mentioned but in semisynthetic which does come in 20w50 .I find it to be very good oil. And worth the extra cash because your only using a couple bottles anyway.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Wayne

Fiddlesticks-Mobil 1 was introduced to retail market in 1974. Your are right, oil of any kind will not cure engine problems. The oil test industry test the products in new engine enviornment.

Superfly

Castrol Syntec-Blend, I tried it once and I have been using it in my Visions since then.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.