News:

Main Menu

Who wants a fork brace?

Started by vavision, March 30, 2006, 10:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mutt

LoL :D, Without a front wheel it'll be hard to judge that brace but, I'll give it a try.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

ps2/bikevision

hey mutt just keep the front tire in the air and you dont need a brace ;D ;D

MotorPlow

Quote from: jasonm. on April 02, 2006, 04:06:27 PM
Motorplow, the Daytona brace is junk. It has no adjustability for variation in manufacturing tolerances of the Vision's fork spacing. Without the adjustability the forks can binde. The ATK or the one on Ebay that said "FORGED" on it have the proper adjustments.? Hate to sound pessamistic and burst some bubbles...But I have been around long enough to remember the problems of the Daytona brace.

Jason, What kind of adjustments do you need? It clamps on the top of one lower fork and then clamps on to the top of the other lower fork... Where would there be any type of adjustment?

~MP

Lucky

Motor,
On the 5 piece design like my K&L, all the bolt holes are slotted, except for the pair that actually clamp to the tubes. the reason is that just because the forks are constructed the same, that doesn't mean they sit the same.  differences in slider wear (the teflon sleves in them) and the simple ability for them to flex make adjustments nessacery.

when i moved the brace from my 82 ft end to the 83 ft end the marks on the brace from the bolts were in slightly different spots.  i have no dicernable (sp) differnce in the way they feel, other than them being 83's, but there was a slight difference in the way the brace set on the tubes... one set of forks might have been slightly bent, but if so i'd have never have known it otherwise.

point is , you don't want them to bind.  i'm not saying the Daytonas are junk, i have no experience with them, but i understand the need for adjustment.

my .02
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Lucky on April 04, 2006, 01:16:43 AM

when i moved the brace from my 82 ft end to the 83 ft end the marks on the brace from the bolts were in slightly different spots.? i have no dicernable (sp) differnce in the way they feel, other than them being 83's, but there was a slight difference in the way the brace set on the tubes... one set of forks might have been slightly bent, but if so i'd have never have known it otherwise.

point is , you don't want them to bind.? i'm not saying the Daytonas are junk, i have no experience with them, but i understand the need for adjustment.

my .02
--Lucky

Bent Fork Tubes should not be run with a fork brace.

$0.02
;)
coil

Mutt

Motorplow, since you now will be looking for another brace, I'll be glad to take yours off your hands for say.......35.00.  ;D. Just being a friend and all you know.

Mutt

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Mutt on April 04, 2006, 12:19:32 PM
Motorplow, since you now will be looking for another brace, I'll be glad to take yours off your hands for say.......35.00.? ;D. Just being a friend and all you know.

Mutt

Ohhhh, the temptation to outbid you mutt.  $35.01 + 1 extra beer + 1 extra of my "Best Burgers in the World" when you guys come down here on the 30th.   ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Mutt

Quote from: DaveTN on April 04, 2006, 01:01:26 PM
Motorplow, since you now will be looking for another brace, I'll be glad to take yours off your hands for say.......35.00.? ;D. Just being a friend and all you know.

Mutt

Ohhhh, the temptation to outbid you mutt.? $35.01 + 1 extra beer + 1 extra of my "Best Burgers in the World" when you guys come down here on the 30th.? ?;D

David

Throw in an extra beer and "Best Burger in the World" for me and I'll not bid again.  :)

Mutt

Lucky

i didn't say my forks were bent, I said that could be one cause for the difference.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Mutt on April 04, 2006, 02:32:27 PM

Mutt

Ohhhh, the temptation to outbid you mutt.? $35.01 + 1 extra beer + 1 extra of my "Best Burgers in the World" when you guys come down here on the 30th.? ?;D

David

Throw in an extra beer and "Best Burger in the World" for me and I'll not bid again.? :)

Mutt

You gotta deal!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

MotorPlow

Quote from: DaveTN on April 04, 2006, 05:17:58 PM
Quote from: Mutt on April 04, 2006, 02:32:27 PM

Mutt

David

Throw in an extra beer and "Best Burger in the World" for me and I'll not bid again.? :)

Mutt

You gotta deal!

David

Wait a minute... Do I get a say in this?

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Lucky on April 04, 2006, 04:13:41 PM
i didn't say my forks were bent, I said that could be one cause for the difference.

Lucky,
           If the holes lined up diferent, one set at minimum must have at least one tube bent. It's some law of Geography, I think...
;D
coil

Lucky

missing the point.. i can easily take the forks & manualy spred them apart. nothing particuarly wrong with them, they just have too much flex, hence the need for the brace.  if the brace isn't adjustable then you could be spreading or squeezing them together to install them

MotorPlow

Quote from: Lucky on April 05, 2006, 07:16:30 AM
missing the point.. i can easily take the forks & manualy spred them apart. nothing particuarly wrong with them, they just have too much flex, hence the need for the brace.? if the brace isn't adjustable then you could be spreading or squeezing them together to install them

Okay, If your spreading or squeezing the forks to install the fork brace and the fork brace does NOT have adjustments, would you then be sure that your installing the fork brace to where the forks should be? This would lead me to believe that the fork braces with adjustments would be easy to install wrong, thus not providing any benefit of having the brace putting the forks where they need to be to limit the most amount of flexing.

Extent

I think the idea is that the brace stops dynamic flex, not just a static bend.  When the suspention comes under load things flex more which leads to inconsistant handling.  Even if things were slightly out of alignment at least then they would stay that way througout the entire suspention travel and that's where the main benifit of the brace comes from.  If the tubes are bent, or if they are just natrually 1mm further apart (just an example) because of the specific combination of tripples and axle and all whatnot, but still within factory spec, forcing them to be "right" by putting the solid brace on does bend them (or bends them further) which may be enough to cause binding.  Having an adjustable brace lets you match it for the spcifics of your bike (but still won't help if it's bent) letting you keep the forktubes straight even if they came a slightly different distance apart from the factory.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Lucky

so we are clear, i am not talking about bent forks, out of alignment forks, etc.
i'm saying, under normal circumstances, two identical sets of forks can sit different distances apart.  we are only talking fractions of an inch here.  sitting on the bike alone will change this, our forks are on the flimsy side without a brace.  it's one of the reasons i reccomend installing the brace with the tire in the air.

it may be that if a non adjustable brace causes the tubes to spred further apart, or closer in when tightened, (still talking only fractions of an inch here) that it may be an imperceptable effect on handling.

or maybe not.

Willie

OK, I got lost here.  I might be interested in fork braces (3 perhaps), if the price is right, 1 (possibly) if not.  How much are we talking about per brace now?

Rolle

Hello!

I got a Fork Stabilizer recently from E-bay!

It is a Telefix fork stabilizer and I put it on my bike and when´t out for a testride, Works fine for me and the bike is steadier than before.

This is how it works:  The stabilizer clamps on to each forktube, just Abov the front fender and over those nice looking threads??   at the top of the forktube.  The stabilizer is cut into two parts that can slide a couple of millimeters and take up the diffrents between the forktubes.(in and out) There is two screws that mounts on those parts. Tighten those screws a little and then press the front - wheel fork firmly down several times, then tighten those screws evenly.

When all is Donne You got a stable front fork that is just for Your bike.
They say that" The Telefix must be readjusted everytime the front wheel is changed". So it seems that it is wherry important that the distans between the forktubes is right.  My advise is Don´t by any fork stabilizer with a fixed distant betwen the forktubes, You must be able to adjust the distant so it fits to Your bike!

I can try to send any photo on this subject if anybody is intrested,      Roland........................
Take care and be safe on the roads!

Rolle

Hi again!

Here is those photos I was talking about in reasent post.........

Roland..................

Hope this help You in this matter/  Roland................
Take care and be safe on the roads!

Night Vision

nice find.. can you tell us what bike it was listed for on eBay? Probably a BMW?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano