News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Who was it that bondoed the edge of their tank to get rid of the stamped look?

Started by vavision, September 25, 2006, 03:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vavision

I think the subject line says it all  ::)

Anyway- my Renu process came back ugly. They can barely patch a tank, let alone make it look pretty. So I need to do something around most of the bottom edges. I remember someone doing this to their bike and I was hoping for some ideas/tips.

They also used a primer that doesn't bind to their patch... it's a goop. So after weeks of them not returning my calls, not answering emails and conveniently not being open when my jeep pulls down their driveway (doors are locked... but I see people inside working that "can't hear me") I'm going to fix it myself. They initially said they just needed me to see if it fit on the bike after they cut it open and resealed it.

It's really not that bad, just a few 1/16 inch bumps and ridges but if I'm getting it painted those are going to be gone.
It's not about living, it's about living well. Enjoy each moment.

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

vavision

Tiger

Quote from: vavision on September 25, 2006, 03:30:41 PM
I think the subject line says it all  ::)

I remember someone doing this to their bike and I was hoping for some ideas/tips.

Blurred Vision used bondo to great effect on his tank..... 8) He gave the tank edges a smoother, more rounded, type of finish, prior to painting.... 8)

8)       TIGER        8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

vavision

kiawrench

lab-metal works better than bondo, and you can actually sculpt it too,,,, not that you would need to on a vision,,,

you can find it on the internet  by typing in lab-metal, or by going here:

http://www.alvinproducts.com/

this stuff is no joke, read the website, then decide if you want to use it , there is a lot of info, applications and directions there to read.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vavision

WEll the tank is patched. It's just ugly. Is it that much easier to use than bondo? I had the fortune of having a whole half gallon of bondo given to me with a box of stuff. Thus the price difference is pretty big.

kiawrench

if you put on too much bondo, it cracks, peels , flakes and just wont hold up. if you put on too much lab-metal, you just sand it til it looks right.

and with bondo, you have to sand to point of being near glass like surface, seal it , top coat it ,prime and then paint-- with lab metal, you sand it, prime it ,and paint it. \\

the work saved by using a metal filled epoxy is justification enough for me to pay the price difference. but that may just be me.   

and yes, if your tank is rust free inside, you can thin lab metal down to a thin liquid and use it to seal a bad tank. mine is still holding up inside and out , 2 yrs and counting .my leak was a seam issue, not a rust hole .

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

vavision

IS this something you have to order online. How much do you think I would need?

kiawrench

a one quart can will do a tank, inside and out. with plenty left over for all sorts of little jobs.

i filled two dents, @ 4 inches across, about 1/4 deep,  then thinned it out on a work board, top coated that , waited 24 hrs and made up a very thin runny batch and sprayed tank all over. then poured the rest into my tank and used it to seal the tank up prior to use.
  almost 2 yrs on this tank , still holding.still looks lie a new tank. paint sux,, but i expected that from my own work
my last v had por tank,, but we wont wake the dead,,,

vavision

A quart seems like too little to fill in the whole edge around the outside of the tank, but I'll take your word for it. Hopefully I'll post pictures soon.