News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Gas octane

Started by Waapman, February 21, 2004, 07:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waapman

just curious of what everyone runs in their bikes.  I run 93.  Is this a good thing or just a wasteful thing?
Got WAAP?

Bruce

I always run the highest octane they have at the pump. It may be a waste but it is only a few gallons at a time and better safe then sorry.

Walt_M.

The manual says 'regular' gas, with no octane given. I've run all types in mine with no discernable difference and generally use 89 octane. Using a higher octane than needed is pretty much a waste of money.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

I'm with Walt, plus I find that in the summer, higher octain gas makes it run a tad hotter.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

joevacc

Lucky wrote:"I'm with Walt, plus I find that in the summer, higher octane gas makes it run a tad hotter. "

That's very interesting.

I have, for the life of my bike used Mobile high octane fuel in my bike.  For all that time I have always wanted to lower the temperature of my bike a "tad" on hot days.

On the few occasions that I have not run high octane fuel I have not noticed any real difference in performance either - between high octane and mid grade fuel, but There is definitely a difference between the lowest octane and high test in my bike.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed the temperature difference?
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Bruce

Another thought, back in '82-83 regular still meant leaded gas, which did not phase out till the late '80's. (I know I pumped it for a living back then and still sold leaded gas at least as late as '85 for sure.) And while the octane ratings have recovered fromt the removal of lead, I think there is still a difference.

Another advantage is the fuel in the stations tanks gets mixed up less in the premium tanks since they do not sell as much. This means cleaner gas for us since everytime they fill the tanks at the station it stirs up all the crap in the bottom of the big tanks.

Also, I always try to stick with "newer" gas stations. That is I look for stations that should have newer and thus cleaner storage tanks underground.

Bruce.

jasonm.

owners and service manuals both say to use 91 octane or higher.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Walt_M.

Yamaha's service manual says 'regular gas', if it doesn't detonate(ping) on what you are using, you are ok. Around here in north Florida, 91 octane is premium and it isn't needed.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

I hope this doesn't shock some of the more conservative Forum participants.  For the last 88,000+ miles I have used the cheapest regular I could find or that was convenient, rarely more than 87 octane.  The bike has never knocked or complained and I've never been sold adulterated fuel.  All this is not say that can't or won't happen to me.  It just hasn't happened in my 20 years of V ownership.

I just run a fuel filter and add a little gasoline dewaterer from time to time.  The heads have never been off.  I run plugs for 25 to 30 thousand miles.  They come out a little sooty but appear to be ready to give many more thousands of miles of service with a little wire brushing and a spark gap adjustment.

Cheers to all.

I report these things not to brag, but rather to provide a different perspective for a wider point of reference regarding the durability and tolerance of the V.

Rick G

I've been using Shell regular  for  around 20 thousand miles in my V's and can find NO problem or performance deficit .  Consumer reports stated years ago that people who use "high octaine "gas  in modern cars are waisting there money ! Unless   you have a very high performance car,  it just dosen't help!  Gasoline  of 1982 is a far cry from the  stuff we get today anyway.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

wolfman

The inside panel sticker (emmissins information label) on my 82' say "Regular (leaded) gasoline of 91 octane MIN"

rick_nowak

does that label specify the rating method?  there are two in general useand 91 in the higher method would equal about 87 in the other
enjoy your day

JaBey

I have run 87 octane in mine since 1990 with no adverse effects. For starters, the gas sold today, other than it starts as crude, has very little in common with the gas of 1982. Old gas was distilled differently and contained lead to lubricate soft valve seats. The Chevy Corvair was the first thing in this country with hardened valve seats and quickly they all went that way and the lead was removed. Good thing as a lot of South American countries still use leaded fuel and still turn out lots of studies on the psychological damage of lead in the air. Modern fuels are roughly about 70% petrol, 15% cleanzers,15% ethanol (corn). The person who said it is a waste of money is right. About 5 years ago there were only about 9 performace cars in the world that actually needed 93 or higher. It was more necessary in older cars with perfomance engines whos compression rating were 2 to 3 times that of modern cars. Many of those, like my old Chevy run better on high octane plane fuel now. Either way, the higher the rating the slower the fuel burns to compensate for compression. Modern 87 is just fine for the Vision.

Waapman

They sell 100 octane racing gas at the gas station by my house. Thinking about putting some in the vision just for kicks.
Got WAAP?

Walt_M.

Waste of money unless it's cheaper than regular unleaded. It is doubtful if you will notice any difference in the way it runs. Jabey gave a pretty good explanation of octane rating in the previous post. And somebody's explanation that the premium gas doesn't get mixed up as much because they sell less is countered by the same fact, because they sell less premium, the premium gas is usually 'older'.
Whale oil beef hooked!

jasonm.

the method shown is "RESEARCH" method. per the sticker on the inside panel. I think the other is an average,
 called R/2 + M/2.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules