News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Help! I'm a coolant system dunce.

Started by VK, August 13, 2002, 09:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK

Just got my bike up and running after being garaged for 11 years.  It is an 82 Vision with nearly 10,000 miles.  I thought it would be a good idea to change all of the fluids and went to change the coolant this afternoon.  Unfortunately upon completing the task, the system seems to be boiling over in a matter of minutes!  I followed all steps according to my Haynes manual (though also emptied the reservoir tank, which the manual did not mention but I figured would be a good idea).  Once I was convinced the system was full I took the bike out for a ride and the guage went right up to the red within a couple miles.  I stopped to let things cool down before heading back home, the fan was running.  The level in both the reservoir and the radiator appear full.  I read through old posts and found some postings suggesting one could start the bike cold with the radiator cap off and watch to see if the coolant was circulating.  I tried that and as the bike began warming up, steam started coming out of the radiator (is that normal?) but I did not detect any circulation of the coolant.  The guage was again flirting with the red zone so I shut the bike off.  The only other thing that may be worth noting is that I notice a couple small (approx 1/5 size of the inner part of a sunflower seed) bits of dirt or something go into the radiator when I was pouring the coolant in.  Don't know how that got in there unless it blew in while I was mixing the stuff outside.  (Could that little bit have plugged the flow?)

Does anything I've described point to one particular problem, or do I just go through the list provided in the Haynes manual for trouble shooting (e.g., check thermostat, flush system, remove water pump, ...)?

I apologize for asking questions that may well have obvious answers, but do appreciate any guidance you may have to offer.  I'll try to be a quick study!  VK

Humber

Of course the cooling system contamination can cause high temperatures but have u tried to loosen air breather bolt???

It should be loosened everytime u change cooling liquid so maybe....
nie ma podpis?w

VK

Thanks Humber.  I did remove the air breather bolt from the T-fitting, as instructed by the Haynes manual.  I was also careful to properly align the thermostat breather and gasket notch.  The only things I did that wasn't following the manual to the letter was when flushing out the system.  As mentioned earlier, I drained the reservoir, which the manual does not mention.  I also placed my hand over the thermostat cover hose when flushing the system so that I could get water running out of the cylinder drain bolts and flush those areas as well.  I don't understand why either of these actions would cause trouble, but thought I should mention just in case.  

VK

George R. Young

Try it without the thermostat, might give you some more information on the problem.

VK

Just thought I'd post an update.  This morning I tried squeezing the radiator hoses, alternating between the two, to sort of pump fluid around.  (Should have thought of that before.)  Sure enough, an air bubble eventually burped up.  I poured more fluid in and repeated the process a number of times and the system now seems to be functioning perfectly.  I don't know why air would have been trapped given that I did remove the air breather bolt, but I now wonder if that step was even needed if one goes through this "pump the hoses" process?  In any case, thanks Humber and George for your feedback!

VK

jasonm.

RULE: When changing coolant on any vehicle- after filling, ?you run the engine with the radiator cap off. Topping off as needed till it comes close to operating temp. There is a lot of places for air to hide in these systems. It also helps to put the Vision on the side stand when doing this.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules