What brake fluid is preffered?

Started by vadasz1, April 24, 2009, 11:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

switching over to dot 5 soon, looked up the MDS on the fluid, does not react with the seals in the xz550, double checked em to make sure that are not silicone based,  and got a new ss brake line and all brand new seals, bought dot 5 for 7.99 for 16 oz.  I will guinea pig it and let y'all know how it goes.  my slave piston is a little pitted already, so if it turns to a rusted hulk I won't lose much
Loves to over think things.

inanecathode

Where did you find the MDS on the vision brake caliper seals or master cylinder cups?
Is the stainless brake line lining compatible with dot 5?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kid Jedi

yes the line is, checked with galfer. founds the MDS on the dot 5 found out that the seals are not made from silicone, called brembo and asked bout the types of seals, they said only newer bikes have silicone seals and those are always red/orange to prevent a dot 5 mix up, tested a seal over night in dot 5, no distortion or change in flexibility and talked to a hydrolic systems commissioner with 25+ years of experience, dad, who did a dot 5 conversion in his bike  ( a suzuki gs550) with no problems. So suck it blue!

I will let you know how it goes

:D

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on July 30, 2009, 02:01:04 AM
yes the line is, checked with galfer. founds the MDS on the dot 5 found out that the seals are not made from silicone, called brembo and asked bout the types of seals, they said only newer bikes have silicone seals and those are always red/orange to prevent a dot 5 mix up, tested a seal over night in dot 5, no distortion or change in flexibility and talked to a hydrolic systems commissioner with 25+ years of experience, dad, who did a dot 5 conversion in his bike  ( a suzuki gs550) with no problems. So suck it blue!

I will let you know how it goes

:D

How did you accurately measure stiction with the caliper piston seals?

Kid Jedi

digital caliper before and after

and a spring stretch gauge, 1.75 lbs of force = same distance

and a triple beam balance for possible dissolving.

all numbers within 0.2%

Why?

Kid Jedi

200 miles on my dot 5 system, no problems, no leaks, no bubbles.

the purple fluid color is kinda cool

kwells

so why the switch?  I have 3 bikes now and brake fluid is definitely one thing I don't worry about cept for maybe after a couple years.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on July 31, 2009, 11:06:02 PM

and a spring stretch gauge, 1.75 lbs of force = same distance

Why?

Are you talking about pliability or stiction? They're different, and makes the difference between a failed caliper seal and a functioning caliper seal.

Kid Jedi

i was just measuring for fun.

Did another 300mi since the conversion.

all is well

dot 5 has a wet boiling point of 500F what is the wet boiling point of dot 3?

I like having one more thing worry free.

kwells

Dot 3 is 401 degrees.  Dot 5 is 500.

Compared to DOT 3 & 4, DOT 5 is highly compressible.  This interprets to a 'spongy' feel in comparison.  DOT 5 does in fact have a high boiling temp and does not eat paint but it is at a cost.

If it is extreme temps you want to withstand...Then I'd say go for 5.1.  Its boiling temp is about 520.  Dot 4 BT is around 450 and only requires bleeding it through the system.  Yet, it is still hydroscopic and will not allow pooling of water int he caliper.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Kid Jedi

haven't felt spongy, and running great.