News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

I'm going to adjust my valves

Started by Kiwi, February 07, 2012, 07:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

sometimes the tool gets misaligned and it catches the edge of the shim depressing the bucket and the shim at the same time...

other times it takes a lot of ummph to pop 'em.... holding your breath helps  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kiwi

Success so far !  Finally got the rest off.  It did take a lot of oomph to get those last 2 out.
I've done the math and will only end up needing 3 extra shims.
All of the valves needed to have smaller shims installed.
I put one back in as a test run, and the clearance seems a bit tighter than the manual specifies ( it's about .15mm on the exhaust, manual states .16 to something higher).
Now my gauges skip .15 ( i have .14 and .16 ) so i am thinking its right at that lower limit. .16 doesnt fit, .14 seems to fit too easily.
I'm thinking its right at that lower limit.  I used the reference guide from the haynes manual in order to get the correct shim size
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Kiwi

well, i came up short one shim :(.  I have a few more shops i am going to try tomorrow.

Night Vision

I'm not going to tell you that you can sand a shim down with emery cloth.... so, tell us which shim you're missing and maybe someone has a spare
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Cdnlouie

Quote from: Kiwi on February 13, 2012, 03:40:32 PM
Now my gauges skip .15 ( i have .14 and .16 ) so i am thinking its right at that lower limit. .16 doesnt fit, .14 seems to fit too easily. I'm thinking its right at that lower limit.  

That's a good indicator!  :)  You can also combine the .08 and .07 feeler gauges to make a .15  ;)

Kiwi

I am needing a 260 Shim.  There is one other shop close by i am going to try tomorrow, and a few others that are further away.
Oh, and Kawasaki makes a shim that fits (29mm).

Rikugun

Kiwi, did you remove all the shims that required changing at once? In other words, you've been turning over the engine with some shims removed?

I checked and don't have a 260, sorry.  :(   Oh BTW, the resident Kawasaki fan mentioned their interchangeability on page one!  :P  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kiwi

I got the shim at a local kawasaki dealer :).
It's all put back together, and starts up.
It's running like crud, but i havent re tuned the carbs or anything. I'll have to work on that this weekend.

AdvRich

Hey Kiwi,

Thumbs up on persevering through your first valve adjustment! If at all possible, a compression test at this point would further help establish some solid reference points for the bike's health before you move back to the carbs.

Rich

Kiwi

I got her nice and warm this afternoon, adjusted the sync and idle screws.  Hopeful tomorrow it will behave and start up and idle !

Kiwi

I took her out today.  All seems well.  It has a  little different sound to it as well.
Strangely, i dont need the choke to get it to idle when cold, in fact that causes the engine to die after a few seconds.
But, with the choke off, it warms up quick and idles nicely

fret not

very well done!  congratulations.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!