Main Menu

Oil pressure..

Started by Repairman, March 03, 2008, 03:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Repairman

Hi everyone. :)

After some time with no "activity" with my Xz, I must try to get it up and running this summer.
The oil press warning light comes on at idle (11-1200 rpm..)when the engine is warm.  I am sure I read somwhere about an O-ring In connection with the crankshaft that might be the cause, but now I can't remember where I read it..
Does anyone know what I'm talking about.? And what I can do about it.?.

Lucky

the first thing i'd do is swap the sending unit. they are notoriously cheaply built & in-accurate (they don't call them idiot lights for nothing)  especially if it seeps oil.  they are common, you can pick them up at any auto parts store, & swap them out with a minimum of oil loss if you are quick.

the seal your refering to is in the right engine cover & must be changed any time the cover is removed.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

pullshocks

Is it #33 on this fiche?

http://www.ysppart.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

I am about to pull my right side cover and need to order a couple of these too.

pullshocks

OK maybe this will work better.  Are we talking about #33 or #26?  I ordered both, but i'd still like to know

Coil Coyle

26, yes.

National seal sells a good one, locally. Get the spring lip. Spring side into the case.

$0.02
;)
Coil

jasonm.

YES it's 26. the 33 is an o-ring. Which only seals the clutch adjuster plug.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

motoracer8

If you want to check the oil pressure, the pressure switch location is the is the place to check it. I use a pressure kit that has a few adaptors, auto parts stores have this stuff. A Vision in good condition at operating temp with 10/40 or 20/40 oil will have 40/45 psi at 2500 to 3000 rpm. With 20/50 alittle higher but much. Don't fret but at idle they have 10/15 psi. The oil pressure switch is set very low around 5 psi, and they are not reliable, and a sourse of leaks.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

kwells

change your oil....Gas flow though can reduce your oil viscosity
I had the same problem with my Blackie on saturday. At idle the oil light came on.  I had been running used oil in it for testing purposes.  Once changed, the light went out.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

While doing  temp testing  in the summer of  '04 , I talked to a HD rider, who had an oil temp guage in the  oil tank cap. He related that when his oil was new , oil temp was 210 F  and 230 with oil needing to be changed.
I have observed, that as oil change interval approches 2500 miles , shifting gets rougher , telling me its time to change the oil.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

Since oil molecules are cut to bits by the transmission.It's been documented that Oil changes longer than 2k are too long.By the time you hit 2k that 20w50 is now 20w40. So using a 10w40 ends up being a 10w30 or worse at 2k. I know many bike manufacturers say oil changes can go as much as 8k. Even Honda has a long interval. But this is just to get you past the warranty time(typically 1 year). They don't care once you are past that warranty. Do yourself a favor. Change it by 2k. even if using synthetic and don't use thinner oils than 15w50,20w40 or 20w50 unless the daytime temps are below 40F. Then a 10w40 is ok.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules