News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

MSF experienced rider course

Started by don_vanecek, June 30, 2009, 04:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

On Saturday July 20th I took an experienced rider course put on by the Omaha chapter of the NE safety council for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). If it had been that I did not already have a motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license this would count as the riding part-and perhaps even written part for the endorsement.

The course was in a large parking lot and there were 12 bikes and two instructors. As you can guess in a parking lot speeds never went much over 20-25 mph and second gear. We did weaves, turns, lane changes, figure eights, panic stops. Happy to say the Vision performs these tasks quite well. Between riding we would then have some classroom breaks, well not really in a class room but on a few tables and chairs next to our parked bikes. It was a warm day and the Vision's temperature gauge was a bit higher then it is out on the road but I'm happy to say I did not overheat nor vapor lock. One item I will try to remember is in a quick stop you also want to be getting yourself down shifted so you are in a position to quickly take off again if the situation merits. I did pass the course and I guess this card will be handy if I ever ride the Vision and visit my daughter at Offutt AFB. I'm glad I took the course but I do have to say I am still puzzled at the $109.00 cost of the course-remember we used our own bikes and we all had to sign waivers. I almost think this course is more designed for the MC rider who took the beginning course last year and can now concentrate more on riding skills as opposed to starting, shifting, etc. This course wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but a refresher such as this never hurts!

Man, doing those figure eights with-in certain lines was interesting, easier on the Vision then some of the big Harley's and sport bikes!

YellowJacket!

I've thought of taking the advanced course too (mainly because I can ride my own bike) but always come up with other ways to spend the money.  Looks like its going towards a new rear tire this time.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

you still have time to not take the course.... It's only June 30th over here....  ;)

there must be something more challenging offered somewhere... maybe get a book?

I know what you're looking for... I never had any formal street riding instruction and have learned over the years from previous experience on dirt bikes and by trial and error....

mostly trial, a few errors  :-[
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

rhpaw

I really want to take one of those courses, but not enough to drop my bike.
If I still had my blast it would be a no-brainer, that bike was built (litteraly) for that kind of low speed, tight formation stuff. Easiest bike in the world to drive.

The XB wants to turn turtle in stuff like that. I'm just not that good yet.

My MSF instructor did this stuff with the Denver cops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KKx7cB-Ok

that guy wasn't even on the rear brakes!
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

Kiwi

The place i took my basic course offers an advanced course for $75
I plan on taking it once i am comfortable on the Vision, and after i get it running reliably.
the basic course was the best $180 i ever spent
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox