News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

So there was somethin wrong with the starter.

Started by ralleywolf, June 09, 2008, 08:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralleywolf

I havn't posted here much lately but if you remember from my last thread, I bought this vision that I always had trouble starting. I did the starter clutch and even replaced the flywheel. After all that I was still havin problems getting her going.

Sometimes when I'd press the button the starter would turn over. other times id get just a click. After alot of "trying stuff out" i figured that if I tap the starter after it clicks it would go again. But It still seemed to be turning too slow. Now that previous owner had taken the starter to a shop and had it completely redone. He had given me the reciept with the bike.

Well so it had been rebuilt and barely used since then so it should be pretty good. Well I checked everything else so I took the starter out and brought it to the shop. The very same shop the PO took it to and told them what was going on.

That was saturday- now today I go in and good news. There was something wrong with it. They said it was the same thing as last time. A bushing for the gear reduction was totally worn out. They said it was worse last time because the guy kept using it and it did more damage. They told me that because I caught it early that all the other components are still mint. and this time instead of using a regular bushing that they are custom making me a tougher bushing.

This is good because now I'll finally have my vision starting good, I'll finally be able to start riding. Woo hoo! It always would run good once I get her started and warmed up so this'll be great. hopefully that stator is still working and I can get a nice summer out of her. this makes me happy.

YellowJacket!

Sounds like when they put it back together that they hadn't lined the teeth up tight and it ate its own bushing up.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

YJ, I agree.  Probably one tooth off, that's all it takes.

ralleywolf

Yea maybe- I don't really know much about whats inside there. but hopefully now I can start riding the bike and have a trouble free season. heh. my Learners permit expires on the 26th so I need the bike to be reliable and pass the test before then.

inanecathode

If they just changed the bushing and put it together wrong again it'll eat up the new bushing in a hurry. Plus, it wont ever turn over fast enough because of the planetary being out of sync.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

And as any good astrologer knows, bad things happen when the planetarys are out of sync.  ;D

David

Walt_M.

Before you put the starter back on the bike, turn the starter gear several times by hand. If you find anyplace where it starts turning hard, the internal planetary gears are not lined up properly and it will eat another bushing. There is nothing inherently wrong with the standard bushing.
Whale oil beef hooked!

ralleywolf

Okay I got it back now. Im turning the gear by hand like Walt said. It's firm but its even all around. I turned it a lot of times. So I told the guy at the shop what you guys said about the gears having to be lined up perfectly and he assured me that im not gonna have any trouble with that bushing. He told me its guaranteed for a year.

Im gonna go put it in now. but I need to get some more oil before i try starting it.

Night Vision

Quote from: ralleywolf on June 10, 2008, 07:38:26 PM
Okay I got it back now. Im turning the gear by hand like Walt said. It's firm but its even all around. I turned it a lot of times. So I told the guy at the shop what you guys said about the gears having to be lined up perfectly and he assured me that im not gonna have any trouble with that bushing. He told me its guaranteed for a year.

Im gonna go put it in now. but I need to get some more oil before i try starting it.

... cleared for take off! have fun
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

for perfect Vision Zen, make sure the planets are in line.  ;D

David