News:

Main Menu

Spring Cleaning 2011

Started by YellowJacket!, June 02, 2011, 08:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

There is a major trick to mine still working and being okay:  I am the original owner,  the bike has spent all of its live in an enclosed garage, and there were only a few years that it was not being used much (but stored in an enclosed garage.)

When I rebuilt the bike, there was very little rust on the bike, under the battery compartment, and a couple of other obvious places.  My bike never had to be "brought back" because it was never allowed to go there.

I do have another fuse holder, I haven't put it in.  The connections on mine look pretty much new, because of the above "trick" :-)

Brian

Rikugun

My GPz was purchased new by me and garage kept as well. It has no rust or obvious corrosion either. The corrosion I'm talking about you'll never see until you do the mod and strip back the wires.

I'm glad yours is working well and hope it continues to. There are always exceptions and maybe yours is one of them.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

cvincer

Yellowjacket;  thank you for the photo re location of the R/R.  Finally decided to put it on the right hand

side re easier mounting plus extending the 3 white wires was easier than the others (but

A$10 for 1 meter of high temp cable was a bit rude I thought.   Any tips on shining up the

engine without taking it out?

Hartless

Quote from: cvincer on July 28, 2011, 02:26:07 AM

Yellowjacket;  thank you for the photo re location of the R/R.  Finally decided to put it on the right hand

side re easier mounting plus extending the 3 white wires was easier than the others (but

A$10 for 1 meter of high temp cable was a bit rude I thought.   Any tips on shining up the

engine without taking it out?
i feel like the r/r mounted to the engine like that would make it hotter.... i mean i understand that the wind would be hitting it , but on the other hand that engine gets hot!!!
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

cvincer

Your location  better, but extending the 3 white wires was easier/cheaper for me than extending ALL wires. . Running around town, can hold my hand on it when I get home. Recent 100km ride (air temp 20 degrees C) & could keep my hand on it when I got home. No fairing must help.  Gets hot when bogged in city traffic, but must still be better than OEM position.     Would still like to know how to get a nice shiny engine without taking the engine out.

Hartless

Quote from: cvincer on August 13, 2011, 11:15:09 PM

Your location  better, but extending the 3 white wires was easier/cheaper for me than extending ALL wires. . Running around town, can hold my hand on it when I get home. Recent 100km ride (air temp 20 degrees C) & could keep my hand on it when I got home. No fairing must help.  Gets hot when bogged in city traffic, but must still be better than OEM position.     Would still like to know how to get a nice shiny engine without taking the engine out.
use a very fine steel wool and then mothers! elbow grease is key as well ;)
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Hartless on August 14, 2011, 01:17:28 AM
Quote from: cvincer on August 13, 2011, 11:15:09 PM

use a very fine steel wool and then mothers! elbow grease is key as well ;)

That and/or the "Mothers Ball" or "Mini Ball" that you can attach to the end of a drill extension.  I also found that small wire brushes on the end of a dremel tool - or similar - work great too.  Once you get it clean, polishing and shining it up is a lot easier.

I think after I graduate PA school in 2012 I'm going to do another teardown on YJ and repaint the frame as well as paint the swingarm black.  At that time I'll also re-polish the engine and do it right.  It still looks 1000% better than when I found her though...   ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Re-Vision

Are you going to consider a powder coating paint job? I'm thinking of getting one for a frame I have.     BDC

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Re-Vision on August 14, 2011, 02:28:04 PM
Are you going to consider a powder coating paint job? I'm thinking of getting one for a frame I have.     BDC

YEah, I might depending on how much it costs.  At least after I graduate, I'll have some income again.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

if you clearcoat the engine after you polish it, you wont have to polish it again. use spray clear laquer. Ace Hardware sells it. 
eventually the laquer will yellow, but it's easier to strip it once every 5 (?) years than polish it twice or more a season...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

fret not

Maintenance of shiny polished and coated surfaces is not one of my interests, so I would probably have them abrasive blasted.  A simple look that never goes out of style. ;)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Guerrero

changed my R/r and rewind stator,and now am looking at your pfotos,why you have so many fuses in this place? =) can you tell me please,which is for what? because on my bike,i have only 2 fuses in here,one is from r/r positive,second,cant remember at the moment

Rick G

I took a differant tach on case polishing. . If i go to the trouble of removing the damed stuff , I'm defiantly not going to put more back on! I stripped it off while the engine was assembled  , using paint stripper, a small disposable brush and  and a plastic pot scrubber. . After removing the stuff i  polished the cases with a synthetic sheep's wool pad on an electric drill ( cover the tank, seat  and mufflers  and ware old clothes)  I go over it  once a year and its stayed great. I do a major clean up on any bike i ride any way.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Re-Vision

Most Visions come with 5 Fuses. A 10 Amp fuse in the head light bucket is for the Fan,  the next four are located under the seat and are 30 Amp Main Fuse, 10 Amp Head(light) Fuse, 10 Amp Signal Fuse, 10 Amp Ignition Fuse.

Quote from: Guerrero on October 12, 2013, 04:58:16 AM
changed my R/r and rewind stator,and now am looking at your pfotos,why you have so many fuses in this place? =) can you tell me please,which is for what? because on my bike,i have only 2 fuses in here,one is from r/r positive,second,cant remember at the moment

When most people replace their old Fuse Box with a modern fuse box, they select one with extra fuses (6) that they can use for anything they might want to add on. Radio, foglights, etc.     BDC

Guerrero

well thats interesting that i have only 2 fuses there,and only 2 wires coming to there.=) who knows,who knows..