couple of questions

Started by williamruck, March 04, 2008, 07:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamruck

I have a couple of questions for all of you Vision gurus out there. I recently rebuilt the starter for my bike because, well, it was old and didn't work. I am going to attribute most of its problems to the fact that when I opened it up a healthy amount of black oil and gunk poured out onto my kitchen table (luckily I had the foresight to put out a newspaper over the table). Anyways, the starter isn't the issue anymore. I put it all back together, tested it, and now it whirrs around like a champ. The problem is that when I attach it to the lead from the vision it won't turn. Obviously there is no power coming to it. Here are my questions:

1. What happens when you push the start button and the kickstand switch stops it from starting? When the kill-switch is in the "go" position I get a click from the solenoid, when it is in the "no go" position I get no click. Would there be a click if the kickstand switch was the issue?

2. Are there any other relays that would stop my bike from starting? When I try to start it the kill-switch is in the correct position and the neutral light is on.

3. Could I be barking up the wrong tree entirely? What do you guys think?

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out with this so far, this has to be one of the most helpful forums I have been a part of.  ;D

kwells

have you checked ur fuses? 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

Do all starting attempts with a known fully charged battery, bike on center stand with rocker switch in "Run" position, and transmission in neutral.  Thusly configured, with the key on, when you push the starter button the starter should turn.  If instead you get a click, your starter is faulty, or you have bad high amperage connections at either the battery, the positive going into the starter solenoid, or the positive coming out of the solenoid.

In the above scenario, the fact that you got a click indicates that at least the solenoid is functioning, and the problem is either before it or after it.  FYI: attemping to start with the rocker in "Stop" position will generate no click but will(or at least should) kill all bike lights for as long as the start button is depressed.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong.  A faulty side stand switch(even with the side stand up) will basically act the same as having the rocker switch in stop mode, that is, no click and lights go out.  

Night Vision

question for you: does the headlight go out when you hit the starter button?
if not, I would start by cleaning the contacts on the starter button. Since the ignition clicks when you turn it on, it's not the fuse.

with the bike on the center stand and in neutral:

you should hear a (the loudest) click when you turn on the ignition.
you should hear this same click when you rock the kill button run/off with the ignition on, and the tach needle should jump. If the kill switch is in the off position, turning the ignition switch on/off will not make the click.

with the bike on the center stand and in gear: you should get the same ignition/kill switch clicks..... and....

you should also get a click (softer than the "solenoid click) when you pull in the clutch lever
you should also get the louder click when you swing the kickstand up and down....

there's more... but start with those things first and tell us what you find...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

williamruck

QuoteIn the above scenario, the fact that you got a click indicates that at least the solenoid is functioning, and the problem is either before it or after it.  FYI: attemping to start with the rocker in "Stop" position will generate no click but will(or at least should) kill all bike lights for as long as the start button is depressed.

That is exactly what I am getting .

Quotehave you checked ur fuses?

fuses are good

I Am going out of town this weekend, but when I get back I am going to get a voltmeter and see whether or not any juice is coming out of the lead to the starter. The wiring is pretty old and worn so I am going to check the connection and whether or not the wiring is OK.

kwells

can always jump the starter solenoid to see if it is the solenoid malfunctioning or the starter

www.wellsmoto.com

Walt_M.

Have time for a stupid question? Did you mount the starter or just put the positive lead on it?
Whale oil beef hooked!

williamruck

I just put the positive lead on it b/c i didn't want to have to ddrain the oil aand take it off again if it still din't work. That's it isn't  it?

Walt_M.

Yes, the complete circuit is through the starter case and back to ground.
Whale oil beef hooked!

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

williamruck