News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Motor Dies

Started by shanem, April 27, 2003, 09:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanem

'83 Vision.  Motor will die intermittently while riding.  Not a flat spot or miss.  Like the kill switch was hit.  Tach goes to zero and the bike rolls to a stop.  Bike will restart(at least has so far).
Think I remember something like this ten years ago involving the sidestand switch, but think I fixed it.
Wiggled the wires under the instrument cluster, looking for a short or open.  Motor wouldn't stop.
Checked the fuses.  Everything seems ok.

Anyone else been down this bad road?

Paul_Jungnitsch

The only time that happened to me it was the sidestand switch, which is bypassed now.

Lucky

There are two systems at work here that can cause your problems:

the first as previously mentioned is the safety relay system. cut or remove the BLACK/WHITE side stand relay wire in the TCI 6 wire connector. if this solves the problem then you have a bad safety relay, sidestand switch or related wiring.

The other is the YELLOW/BLACK wire that runs the Rev Limiter diconnect this wire in the same 6 wire TCI connector.  Do Not allow either wire to ground or get 12V.

The bike wiill run fine with both these systems disconnected, but it will be able to start the bike in gear and over rev the engine.  I've had my bike this way since I got it, and a little common sense is all it takes to avoid accidents.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QQBS

Clean your two TCI connectors really good.  Cheers.

shanem

It was the rev limiter!

Many thanks.

Must go for a ride.