News:

Main Menu

Wallyworld Battery

Started by Walt_M., January 19, 2009, 08:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

If battery acid levels drop quickly....your charging system is above the recommended 14-15v.  Mine was sometimes at 15 to 15.5vdc. I put the brown sense wire to my accessory relay that gets power directly from the battery. Now, The voltage never goes past 14.3 and my acid level did not drop noticably last year.  I do not recommend connecting the brown wire to the battery directly unless it's on a relay. Otherwise you are draining the battery. Yes, slightly, but still draining.  The excess voltage was due to resistance on the wiring and ignition switch causing the regulator to push more juice than it should.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Kenny

Jason,
    Try a sealed Non Maint. Battery-non AGM, YTX14AHL-BS is the model I have, in the Red/White 83 Dorothy rode it out to B.C. about 8 years back and the normal Lead Acid battery lost about 25% of it's electrolyte,  (after 3,000 miles) The return trip same distance, speed & ambient conditions produced no electrolyte loss.
   Just after that trip I installed that battery in the yellow V and installed the semi sealed YTX14AHL-BS  in the Red/White & have not had any issues with the charging system or battery since(25,000 mi. -7.5 years +.)
                Cheers Ken S. :) ;)
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

YellowJacket!

Picked up my wallyworld battery today for $39.00.  They carry the sealed one too but were out of stock and it was $79.00.  Filled it up with electrolyte and let it settle out now I'm waiting for it to charge up.  Couple more hours to go.
Looks like a ride for today is out and I work all day tomorrow but its supposed to be in the 60's again wed.  70's today.  Ugh.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

jasonm.

Some sealed batteries are better than others. I will not buy a YUASA because of many failures myself and friends have had with Yuasa lesser priced batteries. Screw'em.  I replaced my battery last year only because it fell off my shelf and hit the hard garage floor. It works...but for how long?I will look for a sealed non-yuasa next time. But I remember them being near $100ea. That's 3 wally batteries....Kenny have you checked you charging voltage ?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Kenny

Yes Jason, ::)
     My charging values have been right on the money the whole time we have had the bike! Read no charging issues since the bike was new.We are now at 103,564 kms with no issues.
   I can not fault Yuasa for any battery failures in 250,000miles of riding motorcycles,I have had one fault on the bike with NGK plug caps but would not fault NGK as this is acceptable for over 250,000 miles of fun! ;)
                           Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Rick G

I've related this before , but what the hay, I'll do it again.  When the Japanese invasion began we started using Yuasa batteries in other bikes (Triumph , BSA,  Puch, Zundapp ect.) as they were far superior. Some where along the line Yuasa built a plant here and the quality of the batteries went down hill.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

Picked up my new wallyworld battery yesterday, filled it, charged it 24 hrs, put it in the bike and went for a ride. Hope this battery lasts 4 yrs like the last one.
Whale oil beef hooked!