News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

any Tips Guys

Started by iain, July 18, 2012, 06:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain

I have to remove the right hand engine cover , have taken all the bolts out and have been hitting it with a rubber mallet and it doesn't want to move, any suggestion would be appreciated

Iain
NZ

Rikugun

I wouldn't be surprised if the dowel pins are jamming you up. Try a little heat around those areas? Sometimes more force is required with the mallet than you'd think safe. I'm not a fan of prying against gasket surfaces but as a last resort you might try dressing the tip of a throw away screw driver to a thin edge and carefully drive it between the case and cover in a few spots. Any gouges will need to be dressed but favor the top side of the cover - leaks seem to be aided by gravity :'(  Once you get even one spot to move it's just a matter of time til the swearing and hammering pays off. Once you get some some daylight around the pins if it's still stubborn maybe some penetrating oil sprayed in there and let to soak will help.

Oh, and make sure you don't struggle for a day or two then realize there's a screw you missed.  :o  :(  ;D Not that I would know anyhting about that first hand.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

The cover has two internal dowels, one at the front by the water pump, one at the rear.
It's kind of tricky - I found a glancing blow towards the outside gave better results than downwards.
If you have to pry, then do it on the sidecover side of the gasket.  Easier to replace a mangled sidecover than the main engine bits.

Rick G

I have never had to resort to prying a case off !!! Several well placed blows, with a shot hammer, from several directions will always remove the case . When you strike the case ,pull the hammer back towards you , which will coax the case loose,
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

iain

I will have another go today.
Thanks
Iain

Ps Any one found my old avertar the girl with the bouncy ****

iain

Guys you were right , it took more force,,, more betting the crap out of it with the mallet,

Iain
NZ

Rikugun

Good going, I knew it would come around to your way of thinking.  :D

QuotePs Any one found my old avertar the girl with the bouncy ****
I haven't but will continue to seek her out in every dark and seedy corner of the interwebs.  :o  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

The Prophet of Doom

I like your new avatar - you should post some pics of her posing with your bike.  Or the old one - I would like that also.

Rikugun

or maybe the new one's head on the old ones body..... a "Frankentar" if you will.

Re-Vision

Whatever avatar you find, just remember.

It's Faster horses-Younger women-Older whiskey-More money

BDC