News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

VIN number on a Honda?

Started by hermit, October 27, 2008, 07:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermit

Well it is "off topic".  Just hoping someone here could help out with the Shadow I'm buying.  Before I settled up with the owner I thought I'd check the VIN  on the bike versus the one on the registration, except I can't find it!  Found a number on the right side of the frame head that must be the frame number, cause it's not the same, but that's it.  Does anyone know where on the bike I can find the ser.#?  It's currently registered as an 83.  No, it's not on the left, there's nothing there.

Thanks in advance
Doug

kwells

Even if there isnt a sticker...there should be a stamped VIN.  It might be located dead center so you'd have to turn the front wheel all the way either left or right.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

hermit

Okay Kwells, I'll look again.    Now I'm getting worried, I did find 2 round short pins on the frame head that look like where a plate would have been attached.  No plate though.  And now that I look at the # on the registration there are only 16 digits, not 17.  When I change provinces i know the bike will have to be inspected and I imagine this is one of the things that would get checked.  Maybe this is not such a good idea.
Doug

kwells

yes 17 digits is necessary.  If you don't have a stamped VIN then you may be looking at a stolen bike[possibly]

In the very least 16 digits is suspect in that it wasnt caught before.

When you say registration are you referring to the Title or a state license plate registration form?

www.wellsmoto.com

hermit

Provincial licence registration and insurance.  I'm surprised that the 16 digits weren't caught as well.  Up here this becomes your "title" for lack of a better phrase, it is proof of ownership.  I know the fellow who is selling it somewhat so I doubt it was stolen, but it could have been a re-constituted write-off. 

kwells

well, without correct 'paperwork' and lack of a physical VIN on the bike then I'd say you should walk away.

www.wellsmoto.com

hermit

That's what I'm thinking too, thanks for the help by the way, it's appreciated very much.