News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

FORKOIL Question

Started by Blake, April 06, 2002, 10:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

Alright,

Today im replacing my steering stem bearings and fork seals.  ill be doing the bearings first of course, and was wondering if you guys could help me out.   i bought a quart of 15w40 oil for the visions standard 15weight, but if i wanted to up it to 20weight, could i use the 20w50 oil i use in the crankcase?(new of course)  also, how much of a difference is there between 15 and 20 weight?  i would like to stiffen up the front a little, but dont really want it to be a super stiff ride..

any suggestions?    if anyone gets this within the next few hours please let me know.  before i put the fork oil back in ill be back to check.  or just leave me a message on my aol messenger thing.  it'll be on.  you gotta love cable modems :)

Thanks a lot,

Blake

Aolim: Stobl
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

i use trans fluid, i don't think anyone dare put engine oil in the forks.

15 wt refers specificly to fork oil.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Blake

hey lucky...

hows type F ATF?   would that work? i got a bottle of that laying around..

if not..

what kind do you use?

thanks for the help

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Lucky

Ford stuff should work fine
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

Ii tried the recommended 15 wt fork oil first , every bump in the road almost  dislocated my sholders, then I used what we always used, ATF, I works Ok for me!  The Haynes book says 30wt motor oil for Great Brittan, but I'll pass on that too!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

George R. Young

I use 15 wt motor oil (50/50 10w30 and 20w40) and it works fine. Nothing is too good for my Vision ;)

glennw

You mean I don't have to use the stuff thats $7.95 a quart ???

What about straight 30 wt motor oil  :o
Half Mad Max

vern748

I have used 10w30 motor oil many times over the years and have had good results. It is not as stable as 15w fork oil, since it will feel different at different temps. Also, the 15w of motor oil is different and will flow differently that the 15w of fork oil. Usually the fork oil is a bit heavier 15w fork is usually comp to 20w to 25w motor oil. I know I know, they should be the same, but if you try it you will know what I mean.

Vern748

jasonm.

Hey guys, I did some real testing of the flow of different oils. With an orifice of sorts. 15w40 is not the same as a 15wt. for the forks. In fact a 5w30 is heavier than a 15wt. The best of all things I have found is 0w30 Mobil 1. Believe me on the following>>> It has the flow of the 15wt. when warm(70 degrees) without being "Thick" when cold(40 degrees). Basically it does not change much with varying temps. It's the best thing I have used in the forks of all my bikes that need 15wt.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Bladerunner

AmsOil Light weight. Works wonders. Worth the few extra dollars. Pairs up great with a set of Progressive suspension springs.