Headstock bearings

Started by mac_p300, December 12, 2001, 11:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac_p300

I have just noticed while monoevering through slow traffic that my new RK has a distinct "notch" in the steering so I guess it's time for new headstock bearings! I assume that it's just the usual cup and ball arrangement, so I really would like to replace with tapered rollers if possible. Has anybody already done this? If so can you remember the make/size/spec of the bearings you used?
Apart from that it's running well! The fairing is a definite bonus for keeping off the rain and cold!

Malcolm 8)

jasonm.

I did the bearing change on my '83. They also fit a number of models. So I know they are still available. Go to an accessory dealer or JCWhitney catalog. Also put a standard grease fitting in the steering head on the side. Then pump it up with grease. Your bearings will last forever. ;)
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

ArrrGeee

I'm Quoting Lucky, here is the complete message.

"bearing info
by Lucky
I don't have the bearing size but if it helps here is the info on the kit Dennis Kirk sells
http://www.denniskirk.com
1800-328-9280
part #12-91 made by K&L, they're about $48.00 and include the races that you will have to
change also if they haven't been converted before.
They might be able to tell you the size #
I would like to know that info for my site when you get it please also.
Thanks!
Lucky "

-Ron

QuoteI have just noticed while monoevering through slow traffic that my new RK has a distinct "notch" in the steering so I guess it's time for new headstock bearings! I assume that it's just the usual cup and ball arrangement, so I really would like to replace with tapered rollers if possible. Has anybody already done this? If so can you remember the make/size/spec of the bearings you used?
Apart from that it's running well! The fairing is a definite bonus for keeping off the rain and cold!

Malcolm 8)

Kenny

? Replacing the steering stem bearings with tapered roller units is the way to go . I have an older JC Whitney Catalogue which quotes a price of $37.98 for a 55-4030x bearing set. You may also shop a local bearing outlet and they may be able to cross-reference ?a p/n.
 ? ?I also installed a grease fitting ?1/2 way between the two bearings on the Hannigan Vision but don't find it to big of a job to disassemble and lub the bearings in the off season on the latest bikes.
 ? ? ? ? ? ? Cheers ? Ken S
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

jasonm.

2 reasons why I put the grease fitting in all my cycles. (1) the grease is the only thing keeping the bearings from grinding. and(2) there is no seal at the top of the steering neck. It's just a dust cap. And if you ride in any weather conditions(rain). Then the neck actually fills with water. Filling it with grease assures that no water is in there. I have seen necks with water in them! ;)
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

mac_p300

Thanks Guys - but can anybody give me a UK source for the bearings?

Malcolm