News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Interspecies stator transplant

Started by msilverstein, June 02, 2003, 12:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msilverstein

My new stator is on back order from Electrex and I am anxious to find a temporary alternative until it arrives.

I noticed that the stator model (G7) is shared across a number of different brands and models of Japanese bikes.

Here's a list of bikes that use the G7 stator (from the Electrex web site):

Yamaha:
XV535 VIRAGO 1988-1996
XZ550 VISION 1982-1984
XV700 VIRAGO 1984-1987
XV750 VIRAGO 1988-1995
TDM850 1992-1993
XV1000 VIRAGO 1986-1988
XV1100 VIRAGO

Honda:
VT500C SHADOW 1983-1986
VT500FT ASCOT 1983-1984
VLX600 / VT600 SHADOW 1983-1986
XL600V TRANSALP 1987-1988
CBR900RR 1998-1999
CBR929RR 2000-2001

Suzuki:
VS800 INTRUDER 1992-1999
VX800 1990-1992
VL1500 INTRUDER 1998-2001

Is it safe to assume that if I can find a cheap working stator from one of the above bikes, that I can install it, it will produce the reqired output and and won't do harm to my electrical system?

Also, does this mean that these stators were originally supplied by the same company?

Is it possible that the G7 stator for some models were made better than others or are they all of the same (crappy) quality?

Thanks

Humber

yes they are the same, Germans use AFRICA TWIN/ TRANSLAP stators...... and they claim that it solved the problem together with moving the rec to the front

but, in my opinion the problems lies somewhere else....  I believe that it doesn't matter what stator u give her... she will burn it anyway... we need some kind of divine help to find a permament fix for that....
nie ma podpis?w

Lucky

If you did the same search on the R/R you'd probably find out the some of the same bikes use the same regulator. If ALL of those bikes had the same burnout rate as ours then Yamha would have a BIG problem.

Therefore, the problem must lie elsewhere else, cooling, poor connections (which we all know is a major contributor) and wire harness configuration.  There are some members here who have eliminated the connectors and are still running the original stator.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

I am running the original stator and R/R after 38,000 miles on mine.  I did replace the connector with a much better (same metal on contacts) version quite a while ago..

I also live in a cool climate.  It rarely gets above 80 degrees here, or below 35.

Brian

msilverstein

Well, I don't know if it s a coincidence but I was stuck in traffic in 90 degree weather about a week before I noticed the battery getting low.

Anyway, regarding other bikes with the same stator, would it be a far stretch to assume that they would have used similar connectors? If so, given that similar connectors age at similar rates one might conclude that the problem is mostly related to internal engine cooling, and the resistive load of aging connectors is simply a trigger for an already weak system.

Lucky

I'd agree completely except that the connectors, R/R, relays & TCI,  are located in the worst possable place, right above the exhaust collector & rear cyl Y-pipe...  Talk about heat!!
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Humber

Yes, and what Lucky said is crucial here...

Still, notice that some riders, like me.... had ridden their bikes with connectors on for some time and then they got rid of them...

That could indicate that the stator worked under a high resistance for some 20k miles... and probably was shorted occasionally by a melted conn.

This is enough to make it weak and sure it will burn since its insulation started to damage (in this case u will delay inevitable)

So the only solution is to start from scratch and look for results after some 35k miles.... having new stator, no conenctors + regulator in different place -
50k miles may tell u that we hit the bull's eye

So far, I have been riding with my OEM stator and it charges perfectly.. I almost started to reject weak charging issue..
My bike has 60k kms at the moment and she is 20 y old.... and still working great......

Even if the charging dies after 70k or 80k, she has a right to do it.... just an old bike....
nie ma podpis?w