loosing power

Started by Guerrero, May 04, 2013, 04:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Give goodpartsnz@gmail.com an email.  He has a couple of xz400s (same size as 550 but you will need new jets) he is dismantling and he is used to shipping internationally.  Good bloke.

Guerrero

Jets i allready have the right one and new. If it is same as 400,then good.yhanks i will write to them.and maybe i can try to vlean with ultra sound those from Bobby. I just really dont know

Guerrero

so i wrote to  goodpartsnz@gmail.com.and he answered me positivly.that is good.no just want to check once again for sure, 400 and 550 carbs(82) are the same?except the jets(and german low power version 550 is different?) if so,then i am ordering

i read thread about differences between 400and 550,but could not understand completly are they the same or not.=)
and what about rubber intakes,is there then no diference too?

The Prophet of Doom

I can't say that I've sat down and measured every piece of a 400 and 550, but I have run 400 carbs on a 550 with nothing but a jet change, and adding a fuel pump (and the associated mounting hardware). Emulsion tubes/gasket were different as well but don't recall if I swapped them over.

The 550 Manifold rubbers are different front/rear because the front has a vacuum connection for the fuel pump.  The 400s are both the same as the 550 rear because the 400 doesn't have a fuel pump.  Not a huge deal, but if using 400 manifolds it means you will need to bypass the fuel pump to sync the carbs, or add an extra vacuum port - you can get screw in brass ones from bike shops.  At least one of my 400s had 550 manifolds fitted, so yours may as well.

There may be other differences.  To be sure your best bet is to go through the fiches for the 14x and the 11u and see which part numbers are different.  It's quite a job since the numbers don't correspond. 
Fiches are in this thread
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=12221

QBS

How does the 400 get by without a fuel pump?  Are the tanks shaped differently?

The Prophet of Doom

Tanks are the same, but the engine is slightly shorter

Guerrero

Hi.i am back with more and more questions.finaly got carbs,dirty but still,as seller said from 550=) Brutusbistro.his name is Jon.any way,got them yesterday,but the thing is,that on throttle valve it says not 120,and not even 125(as on german low power model),but it says 130.how?and why?and doest that mean,that these are wrong carbs?

really hope,on your help

The Prophet of Doom

Sounds like you have carbs off a US Model 83.  They are different again - don't get them in Oceania or Europe.

Guerrero

Great...i am lucky again...what should i do now?i am getting sick of paying so much money for wrong items.even when i asked for 82 year...

Guerrero

Ok.finaly got my V running.not quite smooth.but atleast running.
But my temperature gauge is dead now...what could be the problem?thermostat?how to know where is the problem,and what i have to change?

fret not

If the temperature gauge does not respond it could be a problem with the sender switch, OR a loose wire, OR a malfunctioning gauge.

I'm glad your bike is running now.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Guerrero

ok,so what would be the right order to check everything? what should i start with?

The Prophet of Doom

There are testing procedures in Haynes

Guerrero

Guyzz,i need help!extra..

So,the bike theoretically is running,But!! I just bought new battery,charged it,put it in.but it takes ages to start bike..and even when it starts it dies ,so fully i can start with some 3-4 time.after i took it to test ride,and in 1 km when i was braking from high speed/rpm it died.and i could not start again,because there was not enough juice in battery...
i know,i need to find out what is going with my charging sistem-charging but only till 13.9v.

But what should i do,to make it start good.

before starting,i put to prime,wait a little bit,then full choke and no hands,only start button :) but it takes really long and hard to start..

any help would be great.
Really it has come the time,when i need V for everyday running..

Guerrero

oh and,carbs are i think as clean as they can be,just from Re-vision.
And i used starter rebuild kit last year,since then bike has maybe some 200-300 km maximum.

I dont want to burn me new battery..I am really despaired now.I dont know what to do,to make V work properly..Still carbs need some adjujstments ,because now there is no kick in after 6k.need to figure this one out too

Guerrero

ok,update of the situation.

I became mad,that Vi is not running,and dismanteled it =D i mean,i took off left cover and stator.And what i pfoun was,that stator itself is in great condition,(last year rewund(about 300km only)But.the 3 main wires are damaged,i can see wires itself ,no insulation,like it would been cut.was it some metal peace or something,i dunno.
Need to figure out what to do with this situation

Any coments would be nice

The Prophet of Doom

The XZ400 I was working on had the stator re-done and they had used shrink wrap and insulating tape.  Neither of these will survive the temperatures inside the engine.  You have to use fibreglass sleeve.  It's about $4/metre

Guerrero

FIberglass,ok.but how and with what i will close the ends of fiberglase tube?so the oil wont come in?
Can i first isolate each wire with heatshrink and then fiberglass?

The Prophet of Doom

You don't need to seal it as such, but you can use high temp heatshrink.
Look for PTFE shrink tube.  Once shrunk it's good for 250Deg C

Guerrero

yes,but now after better examination atleast one 1 wires has been cut more than should be,i mean 1/3 of little wires are cut.I guess i need to change the whole wires anyway