News:

Main Menu

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

Started by Tiger, March 09, 2012, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

I received an email from Brian Mathewson today regarding what appears to be some sort of follow up negative article regarding the Vision...as seen by a 'journalist' from Cycle Canada magazine >:( >:( Below is my reply to that said 'journalist!!!!!

Good afternoon Steve,
A good friend of mine, a fellow Vision rider from Toronto, informs me that you are doing some sort of follow up article...a carry over from a previous damning article to the Yamaha Vision I believe.

How would you like to do a positive journalistic article?? An objective and factual article on someone who's main hobby/focus is resurrecting and maintaining the Yamaha Vision from my garage in the the village of Erin. Ontario??

I'm the proud owner/rider of a 1982 Yamaha Vision, (see attached), that has covered several thousand trouble free miles since acquiring her five years ago...and I am an active member of the Riders of Vision  www.ridersofvision.net , (a web site dedicated to the Yamaha Vision). I have rebuilt/put back on the road 22 Vision's over the last four years, as well as looking after several local Visionaries rides and supplied Vision parts across North America, Europe and Australia.

I would be more than happy to put a positive spin to this largely forgotten, misunderstood water cooled, shaft driven, 70 degree V twin, fun to ride...Yamaha's abandoned child!!!...or, I have to ask myself, are you only looking for negative input?? Would you really like to do a positive/balanced article on the Yamaha Vision?? If so, please contact me at pountneyj@hotmail.com I look forward to be given an opportunity to set the records straight...

Yours sincerely,

John 'Tiger' Pountney.       

I'll let you all know IF I get any sort of reply... ::)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Re-Vision

Good on you mate as our Australian riders say. Giv'em hell Tiger.     BDC

Rikugun

Nicely done Tiger and please do keep us informed of any updates.

How long did it take to calm yourself prior to writing that letter!? I know how passionate you are about the Vision and yet you seemed to control yourself and proposed a very reasonable offer to pen a rebuttal to his article.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Ron_McCoy

Way to go Tiger.  Back when the Vision came out both Cycle and Cycle world did very favorable Road tests on it. The Cycle test even included views of the disassembled engine. What a great magazine that was.  I've had my first Vision 28 years and still think its a great bike. Its very easy to be passionate about it. All the other Riders Of Vision I've met seem to share the passion. One other thing, Vision owners ride and put a lot of miles on their bikes. You don't see lot of owners of other 30 year old motorcyles using them as much as we do ours.
                                                                    Ron

Tiger

Quote from: Rikugun on March 09, 2012, 09:26:41 PM
How long did it take to calm yourself 

>:( I'm still pi$$ed at the thought of someone who writes this kind of sh!te and has probably never ridden a Vision...or at least not for 30 years!!!!

If anyone would like to send this guy an email,  stevet@lcmedia.ca with a positive slant toward their Vision...be my guest. He has got to be made aware that there is more than one Visionary, alive & kicking, who is ready to stand up for Yamaha's abandoned child!!!... :police: 

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

VisionSeattle

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on March 10, 2012, 01:08:02 PM
Way to go Tiger.  Back when the Vision came out both Cycle and Cycle world did very favorable Road tests on it. The Cycle test even included views of the disassembled engine. What a great magazine that was.  I've had my first Vision 28 years and still think its a great bike. Its very easy to be passionate about it. All the other Riders Of Vision I've met seem to share the passion. One other thing, Vision owners ride and put a lot of miles on their bikes. You don't see lot of owners of other 30 year old motorcyles using them as much as we do ours.
                                                                    Ron
Speaking of those road tests and Cycle World. A year or two ago, I came across an '82 Vision for sale in California. It was said to be the actual test bike with documentation that Cycle World had their mitts on it. I happen to have scans of that Cycle World test (see pics of Aug cover, p28) and another test ride article from Cycle World (see Jan cover). I also have scans of articles from from Cycle magazine (not pictured).

Tiger

:) I eventually got a reply...

John: Thanks for responding to our request for unusual motorcycles. When we get closer to doing a story on these, we'll likely get in touch.

I can tell you that we're not looking for negative input, so you can rest assured that we'll be fair to the bikes.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Thornton
Assistant editor, Cycle Canada
office....416-362-7966
mobile..416-909-6586

Hartless

well thats weird... they really dont want negative input? i like it! thats exciting!
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"