News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Stator question

Started by carotman, April 17, 2012, 09:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carotman

While I'm doing a starter clutch fix on my friend's Vision, might as well check for stator problems.

I'll have to check if all the windings are within specs but since the Vision is notorious for eating stators, I wanted you guy's opinion.

The stator has obviously been removed before because the phillips screw heads are a bit mangled. What worries me the most now is the cracks in the windings. I think this can't be good but I've never changed a stator on a bike before so...

Anyway, here's some high res pictures of the said stator. You can see cracks in a winding on the top right and there's some varnish that's chipping.

QBS

Believe it or not, it doesn't look all that bad.  If it passes the continuity test, then it's probably good for now.  How long that will remain valid is up for grabs.  Maybe another 10k miles or not.  If it was me, and it passed the continuity test, I'd reassemble, install a voltmeter, and hope for the best.

Re-Vision

Something caused it to get hot enough to char the varnish, I'd check it out thoroughly before using it again while looking for a replacement.      BDC

fret not

From what I can see those two crispy coils are cooked or very nearly so.  Definitely check electrical values, but as previously mentioned, look for a replacement.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rick G

I would not waste my time reinstalling it , its black and charred , it hasn't much left.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

QuoteSomething caused it to get hot enough to char the varnish

Just out of curiosity, has anyone removed the alternator cover on a Vision and not found at least a partially charred stator?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

Yes , they start out a cream colour and work their way through amber, beige, light brown , dark brown , shiny black  and finally charcoal- krispy cinders. I installed a light brown stator, removed  from a Vision, in my VX800 . The VX stator was dark brown on all but 3 windings , they were charcoal -Krispy , but not yet cinders.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

If you want it to go 10,000 miles before removing the side case, change it now. If you to save the cost of a stator run it till it goes out. 
" border="0

QBS

Maybe the combination for long stator life and early failure warning would be a voltmeter, MOSFET rr, and a 130/100 watt headlight bulb.  I'm pretty comfortable with thinking that the extra load of the higher wattage bulb has been the reason I haven't replaced a stator in at least the last 15k miles while running my oem rr.  The addition a of a MOSFET rr to the mix could only make things better.  LTFB.

supervision

I'd like to put one some time, right now I'm working on about fifteen projects at once, the most important, on the vision, is not the R/R.   It would be nice to have a lot less heat in the stator case, hopefully the MOSFET, is that difference. 
" border="0