News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

A couple more carb questions

Started by Windjammer, May 31, 2008, 10:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windjammer

I'm putting my recently cleaned carb back together now and have a couple questions. I looked up some info on past threads for the Pilot settings for an 83 and it looks like 4 1/2 turns out should be a good starting point, yes?  Thing is, one of them made reference to a spring. I didn't see a spring on the schematic and I don't have one. Can a carb guru (ya there Lucky?) clear that up?  Thanks.

Any other general settings that I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Coil Coyle

If you haven't seen the spring, you haven't drilled a hole in the plug and pulled the cover off of the hole it is in on the side of the carb body.

My belief is that the spring serves as an air bleed at high vacuum (higher than idle vacuum) to lower hydrocarbon emissions during trailing throttle deceleration. The spring allows a ball to open the idle/part throttle bore holes to vent just air until the vacuum comes down to idle values.

This come from memory, I read everything written about XZ550's for 10 years. I cannot site a source. It was an editorial regarding the coming emissions issues that manufacturers faced in the 80's.

Anyway, your idle and part throttle passages are not clean if you have not seen the spring.

My $0.02 is that you should turn count the turns to close your indivdual carbs screws after you pull the covers with a 1/16" hole and a #8 sheetrock screw, write that count down on the carb body and always use that adjustment.

Epoxy fills the hole when you put them back together.

Hope this helps,
;)
Coil

Windjammer

That sounds like major surgery! So I gather that the spring wouldn't just pop out on it's own when you pull the pilot jet out, right? I had the pilots out when I dipped it, rinsed it well and blew out all the passages really well with a compressor after. I'm hoping she's clean as a whistle in there.

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on May 31, 2008, 10:48:28 PM
If you haven't seen the spring, you haven't drilled a hole in the plug and pulled the cover off of the hole it is in on the side of the carb body.

My belief is that the spring serves as an air bleed at high vacuum (higher than idle vacuum) to lower hydrocarbon emissions during trailing throttle deceleration. The spring allows a ball to open the idle/part throttle bore holes to vent just air until the vacuum comes down to idle values.

This come from memory, I read everything written about XZ550's for 10 years. I cannot site a source. It was an editorial regarding the coming emissions issues that manufacturers faced in the 80's.

Anyway, your idle and part throttle passages are not clean if you have not seen the spring.

My $0.02 is that you should turn count the turns to close your indivdual carbs screws after you pull the covers with a 1/16" hole and a #8 sheetrock screw, write that count down on the carb body and always use that adjustment.

Epoxy fills the hole when you put them back together.

Hope this helps,
;)
Coil

Rick G

You might have had the pilot jets out , but it doesn't sound like you got the low speed screws out . The '83's have a convoluted  adjuster ,so there are actually 2 plugs to remove . One is for the adjusting screw it self and one is for the low speed adjuster. The adjusting screw is tapered and acts on a ball bearing which  moves the actual adjuster. . 
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Rick's right,

Your idle/part throttle holes to the carb throat/bore are not cleaned, but they may not have been dirty. If it starts and idles, the throttle rolls on smoothingly, just disregard everything people have posted about the (sic) "mixture screw"

$0.02
;)
Coil

Lucky

Sorry Coil, the springs are just pressure devices, no high idle air bleed going on there, no emissions magic..

see my page here Wind, it might help explane things a bit:
http://www.xz550.com/83mix.html

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Lucky on June 01, 2008, 12:49:31 AM
Sorry Coil, the springs are just pressure devices, no high idle air bleed going on there, no emissions magic..

see my page here Wind, it might help explane things a bit:
http://www.xz550.com/83mix.html

--Lucky
Lucky,

I accept that you don't understand. We love you anyway.
;)
Coil

Windjammer

Wait, wait, wait...  Humor me here.  In the pic below, Pilot Jets (6) go into the holes (4 & 5), followed by the Plugs (9). Now the jets themselves go way-the-heck in there - say an inch or so. And it seems to me that there's a fair amount of air space between the pilot and the plug.

Rick, Coil, are you saying that there's another adjuster farther in, below the pilot??

Coil Coyle

Follow your eyeball up the idle air circuit, you will see the hole had to be drilled; that's one. While you are on that side you will see the other is larger and perpendicular to the first. It is also plugged with a press in aluminum slug. That is the one that Lucky has yet to understand the function of.

Hope this helps,
;)
Coil

Rick G

Its on the other side of the carbs on an '83, there are two aluminum plugs covering the  the access holes . Big brother didn't want our mosicles to run right , so they denied access to the low speed screws
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Windjammer

Eureeka!!! I get it. So riddle me this - having dipped each of the 4 main carb pieces in Berrymans for around a half hour, washing it really, really well and blowing the snot out of it with the compressor. what are the odds of this passage still being a problem? IOW, is it worth the extra effort to do this? (of course the answer is yes, if I get it all installed and it idles like crap...) 

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on June 01, 2008, 01:19:00 AM
Follow your eyeball up the idle air circuit, you will see the hole had to be drilled; that's one. While you are on that side you will see the other is larger and perpendicular to the first. It is also plugged with a press in aluminum slug. That is the one that Lucky has yet to understand the function of.

Hope this helps,
;)
Coil

Rick G

Let you conscience be your guide,  but know this , there is a tiny o ring on the low speed screw . Its under the spring and an equally tiny washer. They should be removed before dipping to protect the oring and to allow the dip access to the low speed passages. your call!
Rick G

Lucky

Quote from: Rick G on June 01, 2008, 01:23:04 AM
Its on the other side of the carbs on an '83, there are two aluminum plugs covering the  the access holes . Big brother didn't want our mosicles to run right , so they denied access to the low speed screws

or possably those are the REAL cause of 911, eh Jim?   ::)

Windjammer

Ok, just to idiot proof this for myself... These are the plugs, right?

Rick G

Yes , thats the one where the actual low speed screw s8is,but there is a second one just above the red line in the pic. at 90 deg. to the other.  Its larger and the adjusting screw is behind it. There are two plugs per carb. Now you know why lucky gets 100.00 to do that job, when he has time , which is not often . Me? I won't touch a set  of '83  carbs . I have 0 parts for them.
Rick G

Lucky

yes those are them, & I will forever-more refer to them as "911 plugs" to honor Jim & all his hard work & research..