Lost Key - Help with Removing Lock

Started by walls1500, August 12, 2006, 01:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walls1500

I've lost the key to my '82 vision.  After tearing apart my house and garage, I still can't find it.
I don't have a trailer to haul it in to the locksmith (to make a new key), so I figured I
should be able to remove the lock and just take that in.  Has anyone done this and if so,
what is the process?  I have the service manual but haven't found it in there yet and I've
looked through the first 10 pages or so of the forum.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!  I'm ready to ride again!

Thanks,
Jeff

Superfly

The ignition switch is held in place by 2 screws.  They are directly below the key cylinder.  You must access it from the underside of the triple tree.  If all else fails, just take the top triple tree off (loosen the handle bar screws, and the top nut).  pull it off and flip it over.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

walls1500

Thanks superfly.  I'll go take a look.

Jeff

glennw

I would pull the two bolts below the headlight, and move it over enough to get the the screw (I think they are screws stock) mine are now 10mm hex heads.. and I would take it to a Yamaha dealer.. along with the VIN number (it hay help them) I'm not sure, but I think it might be cheaper...
My .02
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Superfly

The reason I said to take the handlebars off is so that he can see if there is a number taped on to the bottom of the starter switch.  If so, just take it to any locksmith and that is the key code.   If you are trying to do that "blind" you could mess up the code (if it is still there) by trying to get a socket in there (lots of wires & stuff in that area) 

If the key code is not there, do whan glennw says!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: glennw on August 12, 2006, 06:51:10 PM
I would pull the two bolts below the headlight, and move it over enough to get the the screw (I think they are screws stock) mine are now 10mm hex heads..

The standard thing that's in there is 6mm x 12mm sunken hex bolts.  I just picked up some today to replace one I lost.  However, the ones that are in there have thin heads, and the ones I picked up are more normal (which means a larger hex wrench to pull them)  I checked and it doesn't seem to cause a clearance problem.

Brian

walls1500

Thanks everyone for your ideas.  After I read superfly's reply, I went down and
was able to easily take off the handlebars and get the lock out.  Unfortunately,
my Yamaha dealer was already closed so I'll have to wait until Monday.  But
at least it's out and I'm almost back to riding again.

Thanks!
Jeff

Lucky

I only had one key for my bike when i got it, blame it on paranoia, but i had 4 more made later on:
one hidden on the bike, one on a soft fob just for the bike (so it doesn't scratch the tripple tree), one on my regular keychain (so i'm usually riding with 3 keys) one in the glove box of the car, and a spare at home.

little known Vision trivia: there were 2 different blanks used on the bike.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

The last time I lost my key, it was under the seat.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

last time I lost my key it was in the gas tank cap.

Brian

glennw

You mean the ignition key and gas cap are supposed to be keyed alike...?
I always had a different key for each... it's a real PITA...
GlennW
Half Mad Max

Lucky

George R. Young

The Vision locks are 'wafer' locks and although the key is two-sided, only one side matters. Google 'wafer lock', you'll see what I mean, they're not very sophisticated gizmos.

I had good luck picking the locks of a parts Vision I acquired, sans key. The pick was the metal hook from a pair of ski gloves, straightened. Something around 1/16" x 3/16". If you gently twist this pick towards 'open' with a pair of pliers, and wiggle it up and down in the slot, the lock will open.

Once you have it open, you can take it apart. They buy a key blank from a Japanese car (Mazda, Mitsubishi?) and file the key until all the wafers are flush with the cylinder. Only one side need be filed.

Lucky

hey george, if your not busy next week, i, uh, left my keys in the bank vault... can you help me get them out?   :o 8)

ps2/bikevision

want some real fun. try taking the lock out of the gas cap to put in a new one. its a pita. then tring to get it in the new cap. was really fun. i think i spent acouple of hours getting the lock swaped out.

walls1500

Did you end up picking the lock, or did you cut the cap out?

Jeff

ps2/bikevision

i had to pic the lock. to get it out of the tank. the cap had broken so i got a new cap but didnt have a key for it. the rest was good. so i tore everthing apart then relized you need the key to get the lock out and had to pic that one too. (oh i had mis placed my keys) you even need a key to put the lock back in but once i got it apart i made a key for it. after hours of work i got the good lock in the good cap. then i went inside for a much needed beer. and what would you know. my key was in the fridge! i have no idea how it got there, i must of had it in my hand and droped it in there.