News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Front End Seems to Float

Started by davidpope, December 04, 2008, 02:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidpope

At low speeds my Vision seems to "float" back and forth. Seems to be definitly be coming from the front end.Its really noticable at low speeds and seems to reside a little after about 25mph. Havent gotten it past 40 as I dont know what to expect. I thought it could be the forks as I asked yesterday but they dont even have a dent or scratch. They seem to be in allignment with equal spacing on each side, I know I need new fork seals but could this be the problem? I can compress the forks almost all the way down.Could low tire presure do this? Steering bearing. The float didnt start untill after I layed it down on the clutch cable side. Any suggestions that a novice can do to narrow the problem down would be helpfull. I hate to pay the shop $100 for them to tell me something obvious. Thanks in advance.

steve

When I first got my Vision, it still had original tires with lots of tread but the mechanic said to change them because the rubber is old and hard.  I did that and the bike went from one of the worst handling bikes I've ever owned to one of the best!  Huge difference!
Steve

davidpope

Had a set of new tires put on about 2 months ago because the old ones were dry rotted from sitting for a few years. They are just standard street tires.

YellowJacket!

Check your tire pressure.  I run mine at about 38 psi.  Rides much better there.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

xswheels

Quote from: davidpope on December 04, 2008, 02:51:23 PM
I know I need new fork seals but could this be the problem? I can compress the forks almost all the way down.

It sounds like your fork oil is leaking past the seals and reducing the oil level. This lowers your forks and also gives a mushy response. If your fork seals leak, you have to change them so do it now and experiment with different viscosity's. Try a 20 or 30 wt fork oil and use a half inch spacer to preload your tired springs.

The Prophet of Doom

I found this on the Interweb somewhere and saved it for the day that the bike was running well enough for it to matter...
I have to idea how correct it may be

by Brad Hepler.
"I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I've compiled some tips over the years. There are three (3) possible adjustments on the front and rear suspension of a motorcycle: spring preload, compression damping, rebound damping.  The spring preload sets the ride height of the bike and determines how much of the total travel will be available for compression and how much will be available for extension.  Damping keeps the bike from behaving like an old Cadillac - i.e., still bouncing 10 seconds after hitting a bump.  Compression damping slows the shock when it is being compressed.  Rebound damping slows the shock when it is rebounding.

Set the preload on each end so that the bike settles 1/3 of its total travel -- look in your owner's manual for total suspension travel.  This ("sag") is measured between (a) the wheel suspended off the ground, and (b) you on the bike with all applicable gear, luggage, passenger, etc.  Use less sag for smooth roads and fast riding (e.g. CLASS), say 25%.  On shock absorbers:  get the sag/preload right before messing with the damping. Start at the shock manufacturer's recommendations.  Only change one setting
at a time, and don't change damping more than 2 clicks at a time.  For compression damping, increase until expansion joints or sharp bumps are jarring, then back off one click. Don't forget that when you increase preload, you have to increase rebound damping and vice versa for decreasing preload.

Front Suspension Symptoms - Likely Causes & Possible Solutions

Symptoms: Not using full travel, feels harsh, poor traction in bumpy corners
Causes: Overly stiff springing or compression damping
Solutions: Lower air pressure; reduce compression damping; softer coil springs

Symptoms: Bottoms, soft throughout travel
Causes: Spring rate too low throughout travel, or too little compression damping
Solutions: More air pressure; increase compression damping; stiffer coilsprings

Symptoms: Bottoms, but compliant over small bumps
Causes: Spring rate not progressive enough
Solutions: Raise oil level

Symptoms: Harsh over large bumps, but good over small ones
Causes: Spring rate too progressive
Solutions: Lower oil level

Symptoms: Excessive sack, feels soft initially but doesn't bottom
Causes: Initial spring rate or preload too low; springing too progressive
Solutions: Add air pressure *and* lower oil level; increase spring preload

Symptoms: Harsh over small bumps but uses full travel
Causes: Initial spring rate or preload too high, springing not progressive enough, or too much compression damping
Solutions: Raise oil level *and* lower air pressure or install softer springs; reduce compression damping; reduce spring preload

Symptoms: Takes first bump in a series well but harsh over later bumps, poor traction in washboard corners
Causes: Too much rebound damping
Solutions: Use thinner fork oil (or decrease rebound damping if adjustable)

Symptoms: Front end springs back too quickly after bumps, poor traction in bumpy corners
Causes: Not enough rebound damping
Solutions: Use thicker fork oil (or increase rebound damping if adjustable)

Rear Suspension Symptoms & Causes

Symptom:  Not using full travel, feels harsh, poor traction accelerating
out of bumpy corners
Cause:  Overly stiff springing or compression damping, possibly too much
preload

Symptom:  Bottoms, feels soft throughout travel
Cause:  Spring rate or compression damping too low

Symptom:  Bottoms, feels harsh, sinks far into travel with rider board
Cause:  Too little preload, perhaps combined with too soft spring

Symptom:  Wheel chatters over small bumps during braking or downhills, doesn't hook up accelerating out of washboard turns
Cause:  Too much preload (perhaps because of soft springs) causing suspension to top out; possibly too much compression damping

Symptom:  Kicks over large square edge bumps, but not over large rolling bumps
Cause:  Too much compression damping

Symptom:  Kicks over rolling bumps and square edge bumps
Cause:  Too little rebound damping.

Symptom:  Rear end takes first bump in a series but is harsh on later bumps. Poor traction out of bumpy turns or braking on washboard
Cause:  Too much rebound damping.

Symptom: Back end extremely springy and shock doesn't respond to adjustments
Cause: Damping is gone because of low nitrogen pressure, tired oil, or damaged internal components.

Tiger

:) Not knowing the volume or the quality of the fork oil prior to the leak leaves a question mark. Add the leak to the equation and you will have a problem.
However, the process of changing out the fork seals can sometimes seem a little daunting :o but is really quite easy... ;)...(says he after doing several sets!!!... ::) ) We can help you thru' a rebuild 8)

or

I have a rebuilt set sitting on the shelf (new seals/drain screws/drain screw seals/oil, etc) and would be willing to do you an exchange deal if your interested :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiger

:) davidpope...e-mail received and I have sent you a reply.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

davidpope

Filled tires up to proper specs with air, they were a little low. Still have the sway issue.

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

couchflyer

I had a similar issue and I found out that the previous owner had put a rear tire in the front.  They do have a different profile.  Make sure you have a front tire in the front.  Also I installed tappered roller bearings in the head.  I have no issues w/the front end at all any more.
1982 Yamaha Vision ~ 1 Black & 1 Red
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
2008 Ducati 1098 ~ Track only
Sola Scriptura

jasonm.

Sway you say. Does that mean the bike just tilts then delays in turning? If yes , it's the steering hear bearings. The stock bearings are junk after 20k miles. If not what I describe...it could be you tweaked the alignment of the upper and lower "tree" when you went down. This would give an imprecise feel to the steering. No, you cannot always see this issue.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Tiger

:) David has had his Vision checked at a shop...and it appears that the forks are slightly bent, so we are making arrangements for me to ship out to him a rebuilt set that I have... 8)

He also has an issue with cracks in the intake manifolds and I have explained to him about buying and using liquid electrical tape to "fix" this problem....... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)