News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Carb Parts Questions

Started by newskewlarmy, September 10, 2008, 09:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newskewlarmy

I have few questions about this going over my carbs -again- I found some problems i didn't see before.

The Hose in black what is it used for? Its cracked and brittle but I'm not sure if its needing to replaced.

Can i replace the nipples in red they both seemed to be cracked and leaking.

and This Accelerator pump diaphragm In blue is in dire need of being replaced is there a website you guys tend to use for ordering parts? I would rather not pay a ton of cash just to get this part intown from my yama dealer.

Thx, Kyle

QBS

Black is plastic tubing that connects the two carb overflow spigots.  Red is an overflow spigot, reportedly NLA but repairable.  Blue reportedly has rebuild kit availability.  Use the Forum search tool to locate source.  Cheers.

Brian Moffet

Be careful rebuilding the part in blue.  It has some small parts in it, in particular a small nut and bolt that can be stripped rather easily.  That's the accelerator pump. 

(boy, those look really different than the ones on the 83 carb..  I never looked before.)

Brian

newskewlarmy

How would i go about pulling the spigots and repairing them i tried turning them with no success i thought about drilling them out and just putting tube over them since the little nipple of to the side on each is what is broken.

do the spigots fill the 2nd carb with fuel. 

ie* the first bowl fills then it drains to the second till it fills?

thanks  guys for the quick responses btw  mad props!

h2olawyer

Those nipples (in red) and the hose are part of the fuel overflow & drain system.  The rear carb drains to the fitting in the front carb, then another hose takes the fuel down to the bottom of the frame where it empties onto the ground - or into a catch pan if draining.  Any fuel suitable tubing will work there.  There is a repair procedure for the nipples on Lucky's site: www.xz550.com/drainrepair.html  If you look around in that same part of Lucky's site, there are a couple photos that show how these systems work.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 10, 2008, 01:09:28 PM
Those nipples (in red) and the hose are part of the fuel overflow & drain system.

And on these bikes, also known as the "fuel-leak" system  ::)  I had forgotten than Lucky had something to fix those, press-fit brass tubing?  They are not under pressure or anything.  Fuel tube numbered 9 on the picture is how the fuel gets to the carbs.  These are drains.

Oh yes, on the accelerator pump, search "accelerator pump" in the tech forum, lots of good info on that.    The "Keyster" rebuild kits on ebay have the parts you need.

Brian

Tiger

Quote from: newskewlarmy on September 10, 2008, 09:57:01 AM
and This Accelerator pump diaphragm In blue is in dire need of being replaced is there a website you guys tend to use for ordering parts?

... http://cgi.ebay.ca/YAMAHA-XZ550-XZ550RJ-VISION-KEYSTER-CARB-KIT-1982_W0QQitemZ280264168760QQihZ018QQcategoryZ35597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Repairing the overflow drains is fairly easy. Gently drill out the remains of the of the old plastic tube and insert a 1/2 inch long piece of 1/8 inch brass tubing  (from ACE hardware)  . before you insert it put a small dab of JB weld quick on it , but avoid getting any in the end of the tubing. Purchase a vacuum "T"  , of the correct size  (tiny) and install it in the middle of  the black hose , then run a new piece of tubing down to the centre stand area.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike