How to get carbs out? kits?

Started by dex3703, April 03, 2004, 10:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dex3703

Hi,

I've gotten the carbs all disconnected but cannot get them out of the frame. How do you do this?

Also, who is the Sirius/Keystone (?) mentioned in previous posts with the rebuild kits? I can wait a while for the 82 kit...

Thanks,
Derek

Lucky

Remove the plastic baffle plate by pulling out the thumb screw and sliding the plate out the left side of the bike.

The trick to getting the carbs out is to bend down the clips holding the wire harness to the frame on the left side, and putt the harness out & up. There should be enough slack in the harness to do this.  wiggle the front of the carb out the left side and follow the rear out the same way.  you shouldn't need to tilt it all (thus not spilling fuel)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I remove the two eight mm nuts that hold the  fuel pump on and remove the pump first .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

If you remove any of the braces joining the 2 carbs together, you'll need to resynq the carbs. (Of course you probably should do it anyway...)
--Lucky

dex3703

Thanks. I was able to get them out with Lucky's suggestion of taking that guard off.

Someone has evidently worked with the carbs in the past, as the screws on the top brace are all stripped.

Rick, I've emailed you about doing the carbs but haven't heard from you. If you're interested please let me know. Also Lucky if you'd be interested.

BTW, the carbs don't look that dirty, though I guess that doesn't mean much. I ran some B12 through the last of the gas, and also sprayed them out when they were still on the bike with carb cleaner.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know.

Derek

Lucky

I have an auction going on nw for my rebuild services. see the post below.
--Lucky

QBS

Dex: If you have problems with your stripped out screw heads, aquire a small Vise Grip pliers(the smaller the better).  Use it to grip the stuck screws from the side and then turn the screws to break them loose.  Then use a small flat blade screw driver to remove them the rest of the way.  Cheers.