Shaft Drive Breather Bolt????

Started by mshowe, April 16, 2008, 10:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mshowe

On top of the shaft drive housing(on the top of the housing where you either check or drain shaft oil), there's a "bolt" of some sort.  Mine has fluid leaking out of it.  I couldn't find anything in my Genuine Yamaha repair manual.  I tried to take it off, only successfully broke the weld of the cap where it affixes to this "plug".  Not very happy about breaking my pristine 83 I've had for 25 years.

What is it?  What is its purpose?  Why is it leaking?  What shall I do? 

Thank you.

Fuzz
1981 Honda XL 125S
1983 Yamaha Vision
1993 Yamaha Venture

mshowe

I see this from a prior thread.  This may be my answer.  Thanks!!!!!!   Sorry to post an irrelevant thread.

yeppers, this is just my luck

dhirsch@sc.rr.com kiawrench wrenchav@yahoo.com
View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Help Driveshaft leaking
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 07:42:12 AM »

it isnt a real big problem,, but something you need to correct.

it is most likely one of two problems- water in the oil or it is over full .

the most common reason for fluid to percolate out of the top is water in the mix- heat from use boils the water off, creating steam that drives to oil into a foamy mass of goo. this is common in 4 wd trucks and vehicles that tow boats to the landing .
? the solution is simple . drain the diff , allow to remain open overnight, this will get the water out to a point where it wont be a problem. refill the diff to correct level with gear oil, and then be sure to clean all traces of the prior "leak" off with brake cleaner or similar product. then test ride the bike. that should resolve the problem, --- be sure not to over fill the diff- it will leak then also .
1981 Honda XL 125S
1983 Yamaha Vision
1993 Yamaha Venture